Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back over to the tranny shop that did R&R on my Suncoast IV and asked if they had any fluid left over (I gave them a 5 gallon pail of TranSynd). They said no, they used almost all of it, and what was left they poured into the transfer case... Is this ok for the transfer case? Its obviously not an AutoTrac transfer case, so it doesnt need that "special" GM fluid, but is it ok that my x-fer case now has "a little" (I have no idea how much, whaetevr was left from filling the Ally) TranSynd in it?? Is whatever fluid is in the transfer case from the factory compatible with TranSynd? I really hope I dont have to flush and fill it!!!! :mad:

--Ben

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
NOPE!!!! GET THAT OUT RIGHT AWAY BEN...IT WILL RUIN THE TRANSFER CASE IN A MATTER OF MINUTES!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

):h Just kidding bud...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
NOPE!!!! GET THAT OUT RIGHT AWAY BEN...IT WILL RUIN THE TRANSFER CASE IN A MATTER OF MINUTES!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

):h Just kidding bud...
Man is today bus Ben's balls day on the place?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Ben
I would not put it in because there may be a lubrication problem. I would check with someone that knows. Fluids can be touchy and the wrong fluid may not show its ugly head till later. Make some calls first. Maybe Eric knows.
mike

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS PARTS GUY!!! :D man you had me flippin out for a second!

Thanks everyone else...

Mike-- I was a little miffed because I didnt tell them to add the rest of it to the transfer case, as I didnt know if the fluids were compatible etc...BUT the trans WORKS so I am NOT complaining about anything :)
Ill call Eric tomorrow.

--Ben

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
THANKS PARTS GUY!!! :D man you had me flippin out for a second!

Thanks everyone else...

Mike-- I was a little miffed because I didnt tell them to add the rest of it to the transfer case, as I didnt know if the fluids were compatible etc...BUT the trans WORKS so I am NOT complaining about anything :)
Ill call Eric tomorrow.

--Ben
):h I do my best Ben..

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Don't know if there compatible together but I had the Blue Auto trac stuff in my transfer case when I drained it.

I replaced it with the Transynd too, been working fine so far.

DD

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been running transynd in the transfer case for 30,000 mi . , no problem that I can tell.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
IFAIK, the transfer cases in our trucks require DEX-III compliand fluid, nothing more. As long as that is the case, then you'll be fine becasue if I'm not mistaken, Transynd is Dex-III Compliant and then a little. Check your manual, it should say what kind of fluid to use. In the words of a good friend of mine... RTFM ):h

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
What you guys are missing is this. Some fluids make your clutches bite better than others. The problem is some transmissions use teflon or plastic sealing rings and if the fluid you use was designed for that you are good to go, But, put that fluid in a Dodge 47RE or 48RE that uses steel rings on the direct drum support, you are finished, dissaster bcause as good as the fluid is it was not designed for metal to metal lubrication. I do not know if TranSynd will do the job on the transfer case, but I would be making some calls. Just trynig to help.
mike

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mike, appreciate it and I definetly see where you're coming from...ill definetly get a difinitive answer from someone tomorrow...probly give Eric a call

Ben

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Dexron 3 cause I know it is safe. Mobil 1 is another alternative. TranSynd might even be better, but do you know for sure?
Yes. Dextron III isn't a brand, it's a specification.

Transynd meets Dextron III specs, and more than likely EXCEEDS them. If it's ok, to use Mobil 1 ATF, Exxon Superflow Dex III, or some other brand of Dextron III ATF in the Transfer case, then I for one and quite confident that Transynd will be fine. I may not be a Transmission expert like you, but if something calls for X Spec (weather it's a transmission calling for Dex-III or Merc-V, or a computer calling for PC-3200 DDR RAM), if something meets or exceeds the required specs, then it will be fine.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Yes. Dextron III isn't a brand, it's a specification.

Transynd meets Dextron III specs, and more than likely EXCEEDS them. If it's ok, to use Mobil 1 ATF, Exxon Superflow Dex III, or some other brand of Dextron III ATF in the Transfer case, then I for one and quite confident that Transynd will be fine. I may not be a Transmission expert like you, but if something calls for X Spec (weather it's a transmission calling for Dex-III or Merc-V, or a computer calling for PC-3200 DDR RAM), if something meets or exceeds the required specs, then it will be fine.
Wrong!
Mercon V ( Synthetic Ford fluid ) is rated Dex 3 compatible. Try putting Dex 3 in a 5R55W, or Mercon V in a GM. You will not like the outcome. Mobil 1 is a direct replacement for Dex 3, TranSynd is not. Sometimes making a call to an expert is better than believing evreything you read.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Wrong!
Mercon V ( Synthetic Ford fluid ) is rated Dex 3 compatible. Try putting Dex 3 in a 5R55W, or Mercon V in a GM. You will not like the outcome. Mobil 1 is a direct replacement for Dex 3, TranSynd is not. Sometimes making a call to an expert is better than believing evreything you read.

I do remember this conversation :cool:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Mobil 1 is a direct replacement for Dex 3, TranSynd is not. Sometimes making a call to an expert is better than believing evreything you read.
Any verdict yet on Dex-VI/Transynd suitability for the '06 tranny?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Wrong!
I think you're thinking of MERCON, not Mercon V. Most Dex III ATFs are rated Dexron III/MERCON. The only ATF I have seen to date that is labeled as meeting Dex III AND Merc V specs is Quaker State 4x4 Syn Blend. It's one or the other (Dex III or Merc V) And Merc V is SEMI synthetic, not full.

You're going WAY off on a tangent here Mike. The question at hand is "Will Transynd be ok in the transfer case?". The manual calls for Dexron III fluid. It says the same for the Transmission (Says NOTHING of Transynd for the Auto transmission, even though we know it can be used). Transynd meets Dexron III Specs. I would use it and not look back.

From Allison's Web Site:
TranSynd is a licensed DEXRON III product

Transynd is a Licensed Dex III Product, just like Castrol Dex III, Mobil 1 ATF and any other Dex III ATF out there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts