Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned 4k miles this week so I thought it was a good time to change tranny fluid and get rid of any build particles.

I decided to go to a large Allison dealer in So. Cal rather than go to the dealer, or do it myself. With a 7k tranny I didn't want to take any chances. Besides it was only $179.00 to have a pro do it.

All they did was unscrew the drain plug, drain the pan and replace the filter, and refill with TranSynd.

Dumbfounded I asked "don't you empty the torque converter?'
They said nope this is all we do all the time for all these "rigs"
Fire trucks, garbage trucks, school buses big rigs etc.

Good enough for me. I checked the magnet and it had very little film or metal dust on it - which was good, and the fluid that they took out was as clean as any I have seen. Surprising based on how I have beating this thing up.

I don't notice any difference in temp range, but it sure seems to shift smoother, but could be in my mind because I know it's synthetic therefore it MUST be better.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
problem is with that method is your exchange rate is only 60-70 % , will take another service maybe 2 to get the full Transynd.... That get expensive to see the full benefit.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually this time I got almost two changes. After I started it up the kid put in too much fluid so he drained two quarts out, and then I took it for a test ride to warm it up and he was too low so had to put more back in.

I agree, and couldn't believe it also. I drove 100 miles to get a perfect job, rather than some non speaking English 17 year old.

What I got was just what I didn't want - a 17 year old non speaking English kid who had a hard time putting in the right fluid.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Next time do it yours self and save $. Can purchase filter and fluid from:

http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/

I performed a drain, changed filter and refill. Took 8 quarts to refill.

2004 GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab, Long Box ,Duramax (LB7)/Allison; GMC bed liner;Air Lift Super Duty air bags; Michelin LT265/75-R16 LTX M/S ;Luverne Running boards; Bilstein shocks; Delvac 1300; Isspro gauges.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Allison dealer near my house specifically told me to NOT mix Dextron III and Transynd and that they pump out the trans when doing a change. You may want to contact allison and confirm. I'm waiting to about 15-20k to change the fluid as I haven't towed too much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
smshiver,

Had my Allison flushed, filter changed and refilled at Pacific Torque in SeaTac a few weeks ago. I was impressed with their service. Seemed strange seeing my little pick-up in among the big rigs. I felt $250 was reasonable.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Talked to a mechanic at an Allison service center today who said they were taught to drain, put new spin-on on, fill, run for a few minutes (shift), drain again, refill. This was what they did whenever someone came in for a trans fluid change on a 1000. He said they have a flush unit but this was the procedure they were taught in Allison school.

Good enough?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts