Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one get into the transport business? Does anyone have a chart or something that breaks down the typical expenses and wages/fees that are involved in the business?

Just curious. I thought it might make a good part time job.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
What are you looking to pull? I'm in the middle of a job change (meaning I quit the first one and haven't found a new one yet) and have done a couple road trips shipping horses for some folks I know just to stay busy and put a few bucks in my pocket. It's been fun so far, which means I haven't had a breakdown or bad weather yet. I just went from Richmond VA to Baton Rouge LA to pick up a show horse & bring it back- never been down there, really enjoyed what I saw of the area. Nice folks, great coffee, good food, pretty country.

Unless you really want to get serious, I would try to find a niche rather than compete with "pros". Commercial horse shippers, for instance, charge about $1 per mile one way. I can't afford to do that for one horse, BUT a commercial guy will take 2 or 3 weeks to pick your horse up, show up at 2 a.m. and lay on the horn til you come out, then leave it in his 18-wheeler for 3, 4, or 5 days. I can charge more because I show up when you want me there and go straight from point A to point B, plus you know your horse is getting good care along the way. That's my niche, and when people are in the situation where they need me it's worth it for them to pay up a little. For example- they asked me about Baton Rouge on Thursday, I left friday afternoon, picked up the horse sunday morning, and was back in Richmond by noon monday (2,400 miles round trip). I had the horse here before any of the commercial guys even bothered returning their call, and they paid me $1,500 plus I used THEIR business AMEX for my fuel, food, and Saturday night at a motel 6.

You are in horse country- it couldn't hurt to ask a trailer dealership about delivering new horse trailers. They usually ask you to pull two at a time for factory work, but if they need you to go make retail deliveries that might be your niche. If you are doing something they need that nobody else does, you can set your own price as long as they know you're being fair.

HD90Rider on The Diesel Page delivers new travel trailers & could prob. give you some advice about that.

Sorry for the long reply- haven't really scratched the surface yet. final word- if you can't find a way to do it where the pay is worth the effort, don't bother and don't be afraid to turn something down that you don't feel good about. It's fun, but too much work for you & your truck to do it for free. Edited by: Roo-bee

·
Registered
391 Posts
cdhd2001 said:
How does one get into the transport business? Does anyone have a chart or something that breaks down the typical expenses and wages/fees that are involved in the business?

Just curious. I thought it might make a good part time job.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing....anyone

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry for the delay in respoinding....I tried the RV delivery business about three years ago and found that there isn't enough money in it to come out ahead. I made the money that was promised to me, but couldn't make a profit in it, and did everything I could think of to make it. It was a really good job, no stress at all, but no money either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anybody looking for hauling around/from the Minneapolis area?? The truck needs to make some money or go away.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I looked into transporting RVs & TTs from manufacturer to dealer. Not sure it was all that profitable, but it was a good way to make a few bucks if you wanted to see a certain part of the country. I believe it was 58 - 64 cents a mile(depending on trailer size), but you paid expenses and insurance. Plus, you had to wash the trailer when you got there. There is a publication called Work Camper News and it has a couple of companies that hire independent pickup truck owners to transport. ONe of the companies is called TNT out of Oregon, but most of the hauls are from north central IN (where almost 85% of trailers are manuf.)to the Southwest. Good Luck.

JP

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's awful pay for an owner operator, I don't know how anyone could afford to work for that. Figure on your truck payment, fuel, insurance, meals, oil changes/maintenance (and possible break downs) and you've got nothing left unless you want to work your ass off, and if you do you'll still be over worked/underpaid.

Sounds like it would be good if you're retired on a pension and bored sitting around the house but it doesn't sound like there's enough money in that to make a living doing it. Keep in mind that even if you just do it for a few years your truck will be getting seriously clapped out with that many hard miles on it.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Camstyn,

You are right! I think they get the retired folk that wanna see the southwest and need a little cash for the trip. Kind of a break-even sort of thing. Too bad to, cause I think it would be fun to transport like that, but now that fuel is so high a guy would go broke. Oh well maybe in another 20 years when I retire I'll do it then.

jp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts