Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are no new vans and cannot order one I have decided to do the transmission.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
20,195 Posts
Planning on any upgrades?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planning on any upgrades?
Nope, with them having some issues getting parts we are going the GM reman route. With it having 516,000 miles on it they are concerned how many hard parts might need replaced. This way it will be a 1 day job and eliminate the possibility of waiting days-weeks for parts.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No, I am trying to avoid that so there is less screwing around.
You change your trans fluid regularly? You might be surprised how long the trans will last.
I'd wait until it breaks, and use that as an excuse to buy new!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You change your trans fluid regularly? You might be surprised how long the trans will last.
I'd wait until it breaks, and use that as an excuse to buy new!
This might be the dumbest thing I will read today. Yes I service it. I am over 516,000+ miles and it has shown issues. Waiting to get stranded 100's of miles from home to waste more time and money would be stupid. I do not need to do something stupid to have an excuse to buy a new van. There is no new vans to buy and you cannot even order one right now.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: turboawd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since there are no new vans and cannot order one I have decided to do the transmission.
If you were able to order a new van, what would you get and not get on it? I assume you decided on the new 6.6 rather than the 2.8.
I am thinking of ordering a new van. There are dealers here in SE Michigan that say they can get an allocation if I want one.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you were able to order a new van, what would you get and not get on it? I assume you decided on the new 6.6 rather than the 2.8.
I am thinking of ordering a new van. There are dealers here in SE Michigan that say they can get an allocation if I want one.
My number #1 wants would be 3500 extended with 6.6 gas and figure out the rest. I would not trust what any dealer says right now since they are not even making any at the moment. There is all kinds of crazy rumors like no cargo vans will get the 6.6 only passenger vans. So I am not doing anything until production is up/running and you can build/price/order a 2022.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My number #1 wants would be 3500 extended with 6.6 gas and figure out the rest. I would not trust what any dealer says right now since they are not even making any at the moment. There is all kinds of crazy rumors like no cargo vans will get the 6.6 only passenger vans. So I am not doing anything until production is up/running and you can build/price/order a 2022.
Production stopped completely? Why?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have not taken any orders since like February. Vans are at the very bottom of the priority list for GM. With the shortage of parts they stopped to build trucks and etc. Who knows when they will start up again or maybe never. My biggest fear is that GM will use this as an excuse to put the van on the chopping block and start up the electric van as our only option.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
They can shove the electric van as far as I am concerned, but I don’t think that it will come down to that yet. Demand is still strong and the capital investment is 0 for the current product.

The last I heard van production is starting up for 2022 in late November. Orders have been taken but the allocations are trouble. If you want to order a van and walk in to a dealer that doesn’t normally inventory/sell vans, you will have problems. The dealer needs to have an allocation for a sold order now.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They can shove the electric van as far as I am concerned, but I don’t think that it will come down to that yet. Demand is still strong and the capital investment is 0 for the current product.

The last I heard van production is starting up for 2022 in late November. Orders have been taken but the allocations are trouble. If you want to order a van and walk in to a dealer that doesn’t normally inventory/sell vans, you will have problems. The dealer needs to have an allocation for a sold order now.
I do not know if I would say demand is strong because sales numbers are not great and have not been good for a while. Ford sells more vans than everyone else combined and even that Ram Promaster is gaining ground on the GM twins. If part shortages continue then vans will be the first to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts