Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission Upgrades?

My truck has 16,000 miles on it. I have never limped the tranny. I ran the Superchip programmer from 2,500 miles to 9,500 miles, half in the 55 hp setting, the other half in the 95 hp setting. I currently run the Juice/Attitude, 90% of the time in level 2, a little “play time” in level 4, and less than 10 short bursts in level 5. The Attitude is set to defuel on all shifts. I also tow a 9,500 lbs 5th wheel in level 2. When I purchased the truck the dealer gave me a free 5 year/ 75,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Here is the big question. Would the new Bullydog transmission upgrade allow me to occasionally run level 5 without worry? Also, looking at the picture of the componets that Bronco posted in a previous thread, would this upgrade be “stealthy” enough to not void the warranty on the transmission. In other words, would the typical tech at the dealer notice the modification to the transmission?

Thanks for your help and advice. Oh, btw, I do not and will not have the funds for the full transgo upgrade anytime in the near future.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have to chuckle at these transmission posts. Considering the high end upgrades are around the 6k mark installed, the Transgo kit is a relative bargin at 1500 installed with out conv and now thats considered expensive. I think the next thing is that Transynd is too expensive and it costs more to replace the fluid then it does to make it hold 600hp. I think I seen an add for a pan gasket that adds 4 qts of capacity and fixes the weak C2's

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dmaxalliTech said:
I have to chuckle at these transmission posts. Considering the high end upgrades are around the 6k mark installed, the Transgo kit is a relative bargin at 1500 installed with out conv and now thats considered expensive. I think the next thing is that Transynd is too expensive and it costs more to replace the fluid then it does to make it hold 600hp. I think I seen an add for a pan gasket that adds 4 qts of capacity and fixes the weak C2's
Eric,

Not everyone has an unlimited supply of cash. Besides, I don't want 600 hp. I just want to able to use the full capabilities of the Juice/Attitude box.

Besides, on Avalanches and Suburbans, a measly $120 Transgo kit will allow the 4L80E/4L85E hold a supercharged 8.1L, that is about a 150 hp improvement. Is it two much to ask that the "big bad" allison tranny to live under a measly 125 hp increase?

Anxiously awaiting the comeback.

P.S. For $6,000 I could have turned my piston slapping 6.0L into a Dmax whipping beast (minus fuel mileage, of course!).
Edited by: cdhd2001

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
save your money drive like you have been driving and you will be fine...............just dont switch from level 2 to level 5 and expect the allison to shift perfectly right away.............then get a transgo

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
A 120.00 Transgo kit in a 4L80E will not hold a supercharged 8.1. What about the torque converter? Think a stock one will hold? The 4L80 trans still has to be removed to get full benefit of the Transgo kit. Stock teflon sealing rings will shrink very quickly when subjected to any kind of horsepower. Buy the Bullydog valves and let it rip on level 5.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
cdhd, it wasnt meant as a brash comment towards you, sorry if it sounded that way. its just that people want everything for cheaper and cheaper and then ***** when it wont do what they want. If ya wanna compare trans go prices, then ya gotta compare apples and apples, not apples and pineapples. THey might sound close, but they are made by entirely different companies and they operate in completely different ways.

Back to your original question. You shouldnt even need an upgrade for just OJ level 5. It should be safe with out it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What about HJ/AT 145, How much "beefing" of the tranny does that require to run it on level 5 safely?

·
Registered
281 Posts
True you are only adding 125+ Hp. BUT, you are also adding 350-500lbs of torque. Thats what causes the trans to fail. Not the HP.

I think there are many people here in the same boat. New truck.... Juice.....want more power...warranty....Transmission...what to do?

With these trucks itscheap to make power....expensive to put the power on the ground.

Jesse

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Eric;

How has the Transgo kit holding up for you? I talked with you at the get-to-gether last fall, you had just installed it. I am thinking about going that route. (That is if you do the install) I can't/won`t and I wouldn't trust to many others.

At this time I have just under 53,000 miles with nearly all being with 70 hp or more over stock. I am rough on the truck pretty much all the time, so I am sure it needs looked at pretty close and may need cluches replaced.

I am after something that will hold 400-450 hp on a daily basis.

By the way, when is the next Grand Rapids GTG?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
hdmax

You will probably need C2, C3 and C4 clutches if you have been hard on the truck. You might need the stator support bushing, pump bushing and mainshaft pilot bushing as well. Count on buying steel plates for the above clutches. Sorry to intrude on Eric, hope you guys don't mind.

mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
How are you doin HDMax? I talked to ya at the GTG in GR, nice lookin truck you have there. Wish mine set about that height, but I am spending it on other things.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Mike L;

I don't mind at all. But you just spent me into being broke. If this is the case (and I don`t doubt you for a second) What are we talking here? $3000? (Including the install) or much more? I was expecting to get by with $2200-$2500. By the way, What is your last name? The reason I ask is, My name is Mike L (as in Lucas)

White Duramax; I`m doing good. Just waiting for the next GR GTG.Edited by: hdmax

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eric, no offense taken. Money is just a little tough around here these days.

I guess I asked because I have seen quite a few posts stating that the 125 hp juice would toast an allison. The temptation to run it in level 5 is sometimes more than I can resist. I normally run it in level 2 because I seem to get the best mileage in this setting (60 mile round trip commute).

Thanks!

P.S. Hopefully the economy starts looking better or a few of us will have to start trading in for Yugos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.