Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you change the spin filter do you have to drain the pan 1st ? If not how much fluid do you add after you install the new spin filter?

·
Registered
228 Posts
No you don't have to drain the pan.
All of the fluid you will lose is what is in the filter.
Do not lose the magnet in the top of the filter. Clean it and put it on top of the new filter.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Do not lose the magnet in the top of the filter. Clean it and put it on top of the new filter.
:exactly: Just fill your new filter with fluid before you put it on, and the level should be OK. Double check it after it warms up just to be sure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is the first I have heard of the trans spin filter how long have they been using them I had a 02 Dmax and had regular maintence over the life of the truck and never new or heard about this filter.I have since sold that truck and purchased a new 06 Dmax and found this site last month and have learned so much from you guys to this point.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
:exactly: Just fill your new filter with fluid before you put it on, and the level should be OK. Double check it after it warms up just to be sure.
And when you fill your filter, let the fluid soak in to the filter medium well to ensure that the filter is "full." It may take 3-4 times of pouring fluid in before it stops soaking it up.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Easy job, did mine yesterday in about 10 minutes, just fill the filter up and put it back on w/ the clean magnet.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

This is the first I have heard of the trans spin filter how long have they been using them I had a 02 Dmax and had regular maintence over the life of the truck and never new or heard about this filter.I have since sold that truck and purchased a new 06 Dmax and found this site last month and have learned so much from you guys to this point.
Hey,

Welcome to the place!! From what I understand, the Alli has had the spin on since it was mated to the DMAX!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just replace the filter or the fluid too?

I've got about 8k miles now and haven't done anything to the tranny.

Can I get the filter at AutoZone?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told just replace the filter and add fluid in the filter
before installing. Do not drain the pan. Also make sure you get the right fluid.

·
Registered
754 Posts
2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006....:rolleyes: Look under the truck & you will see a RED spin-on filter at the front of the tranny. That's it.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
When you take the filter off, what keeps more fluid from draining? If I understand you correctly then, there is plenty of time to clean the magnet, put it on the new filter and spin it on without any fluid draining.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It is higher than the pan, so it only loses a few oz's. Usually when I change the filter, I dont try to fill it, then I add about 7 oz's & it is full after getting it to operating temps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts