Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a used Duramax for a while now, two of them that I've ran warranty work checks on (thanks dmaxallitech and gmcsid) have had the transmission pumps repaired or replaced around 40-50k miles. Excuse my ignorance of automatic trannys, but what is that pump and how much does it cost to fix? Also are others having problems with them or is this just a weird coincedance? Haven't been able to find much about them on the forums.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Usually the pumps are not the actual problem.. I think, and SID reminded me, thats its possible that the drainback issue was done (good thing) and that is why it shows up as it does. Also possible that the conv bolts worked loose, causing the conv to wobble and the pump was replaced becuase of that. Its hard to say, but overall, I wouldnt let the pump issue that you have noticed on them two trucks worry you to much. I have never seen a flat out failure of the pump. Failures of the trans overall on stock trucks are very very low other then some electrical things that are known about. The NSBU switch, wire rub near the p/s hose clamp and a solonoid once and a while. The Allison is a very dependable unit

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the Allison looks to be great from what I've seen on these forums. Driving it, it is very obvious it is the best auto available in a Diesel pickup, IMO.
Just seemed a little strange that the same issue popped up on two of the trucks I've been looking at. Can't wait to finally get one of these trucks. I think I will go tomorrow and try to work a deal on this 03 CC.

·
Registered
139 Posts
as dmaxalliTech said it's not the pump....there is a bulletin on replacing two springs in the pump for torque converter draining after extended sitting. but pump failures...I haven't seen one and i do all of the trans work in the shop...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not sure yet but when the trans temps gets around 200 I did feel a double engagement when pulling off from a light. I only felt it once so I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer. 990 miles and I will be pulling me trailer next weekend (10,000lbs) so that should tell the story.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Leatherman, that double bump you felt may be a driveline issue and not a trans problem. I see you have a Dually so its possible that the two piece driveshaft gave you a nudge. Although, its very possible in the trans too..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can understand a driveline bump if it happen all the time but I only felt when the trans temp was around 180-200. I have neve felt it even after driving for a couple of hours it only happen when trans temp were up. It only happen once so I'm not sure yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts