Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously thinking about installing a larger capacity transmission pan (Allison Deep or Mag-Hytec) on my truck when I change to synthetic transmission fluid. After searching several fourms I have concluded not too many folks have installed either pan on their truck and that the real world performance benefits, i.e. increased cooling, is not well defined. Several posts in fact have indicated that they saw no drop in fluid temperature.

Five reasons to install a deep pan.

1. It actually lowers the transmission fluid temperature.

2. It would increase the time it takes to get the fluid hot in an intermittent mode, i.e. climbing a hill while towing but not lower it in normal driving.

3. Gives the owned a sence of "security" because he has one.

4. In the case of the Mag Hytec it increases the "Cool" factor of the truck cause it looks very neat.

5. Your addicted and just can't stop throwing money at your new truck.

I would like to here from those of you who have ACTUALLY put a deep pan on your truck. Which pan, any decrease in temperature under what operating conditions, do you feel it was worth the money spent and would you do it again??

Are we all crazy! Spend 45K on a new truck and then start replacing parts that GM Engineers spent years developing. My $0.02 stock shocks are going in the s**t can as soon as my Bilsteins arrive. Stock tranny pan may be right behind the shocks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have the deep pan, and have seen about a 20-30deg drop in temps across the board, regular driving and towing. But thats also with TranSynd, which I hear can help also.

Mike

·
Registered
611 Posts
5. Your addicted and just can't stop throwing money at your new truck.

I don't see any temp drop.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
number 5

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd say..5. I'm addicted and just can't stop throwing money at my new truck

And a little...2. It would increase the time it takes to get the fluid hot in an intermittent mode,

·
Registered
754 Posts
I guess it's just me then, sometimes I can't seem to get the temp guage up over 150 nowadays, and I had it up over 150 everyday prior to the change...

I'm thinking I'm suffering from some sort of syndrome where I'm in denial about #5, therefore I can't mentally allow myself to see the guage go over 150, which provides self reassurance and protects my phyche from meltdown, which allows me to BS the wife and myself into needing the next mod, which feeds the above syndrome and reinforces the denial of #5, which provides self reassurance...blah blah blah.

By the way the trans mod is next

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
IIRC, When Triffid posted pics of his truck including the pan on the Allison, some members indicated they thought it was a deeper pan on the LLY equipted trucks. Here's a link to his truck pictures, the trans pic is the twelfth one down on the left side:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=3510979&uid=594075

Then there's always the part about all the '04 Allisons having some hardware changes that only work on the 8.1 and LLY due to TCM programming.

I've not had an LB7, nor looked under one to see if it's any different than mine. So, anybody know if the LLY equipted Allison pan is deeper after seeing Triffid's?Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I own a LLY and it came with the same old pan GM has used all along, not the deep pan. I changed it out for the PML deep pan for two reasons.

1. increases fluid capacity

2. better quality than factory deep unit

All the '04 model year trucks do have different hardware internal to the Allison but it is not activated on the LB7 version. What this does is drop line pressure at idle not moving to 100 psi. Once the throttle goes above 7 % or the vehicle begins moving the pressure rises back to 230 - 250 just like the LB7 version. With the lower pressure at idle the pump doesn't work as hard when it's not needed.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Diesel Tech,

Thanks for the heads up on the pan and the operational differences....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts