Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wondering what you guys think about my transmission choice for my rat rod project. It's a 54 international r 180 cab and clip I put on a early 80s c30 frame that I z'ed to lower but anyway I came across a gm new process a833 aluminum 4 speed overdrive so I decided to go with that its ratios are real similar to a 700 r4 auto ratios that I found online
Np A833
1st 3.09 2nd 1.67 3rd 1.00 4th .73 OD
700r4 1st 3.06 2nd 1.63 3rd 1.00 4th .70 OD
My other option was a strait 400 with a gear vendor behind it. I decided to go with the new process do any of you have any info on it hoping I made the right choice. Just plan on doing some light occasional towing and cruseing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes please but unfortunately a 4500 wasn't in the budget. I had never heard of the new process tell my dad told me about it. from what I gather it was available behind 6.2s at some point and is similar to chryslers tranny they ran in there muscle cars just not as strong
Mine is aluminum and I guess gm put an overdrive in them and called them a np440 I believe. Just wondering how many are out there and any past experiences people may of had with them I know you can still get some parts but there's some that I couldn't find when I refreshed it with new bearings and synchro rings

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
274 Posts
The Problem with the NP 440 (GM's term) but actually a Chrysler A833-OD it was Only! offered in 1982! with the 6.2L (1 of 200 ever made) But 2. Parts are extremely hard to come by. Not even sure if you can get a New clutch for it... I know for a fact they don't reproduce Flywheels!!! Anything for the 833 is well-getting... unobtainium !!! Most guys only use them for Show trucks / All original restored. A bell housing alone sells for $700+ online and the Linkages for shifting usually 500 or so. Anyway, you have a very very expensive & Fragile transmission there. Better OFF! With a 700r4 you can still get the Correct Diesel Tq converters & Governors.

Just my 2 Cents. But otherwise, it's a pretty decent Trans to Cruise with just note they don't like over 60-65.
Gearvendor actually still sell kits for the th400, but not in 4wd. only 2wd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice just my style weird and hard to find parts lol. I'll see how it treats me and if needed I'll pull the 400 and vendor out of the corner of barn and throw it in there. Thanks

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
274 Posts
Rite. everything i own is either really rare or Super Uncommon Makes for the best type of friend! the one who knows anything and everything about the oddball stuff.

Reactions: Old and not working
1 - 6 of 6 Posts