Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ask Mike L.....so you can blame him if your trans implodeds :D
Okay Mike... (Everyone should hear/see your answer)

I've been using the BD-Power Pup set to "Performance" (For about 2-Weeks). I have no "Pyro" but, I drive "Light-Footed". (I used to drive a Big-Rig and understand EGT's) My transmission shifts like "Butter"... I get on the freeway without WOT, but up-to-speed "Fast".

I'm getting about 18-MPG around town and "Ratlover" says I should be careful "without a Tranny Mod"...

So... Can I drive around with the "Performance" setting without breaking my truck?

(I need someone to blame if the Trans blows...) :lol:

OR... What Mods need to be done? (What about the warranty?)

:thankyou2

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Since you have a 6 speed Allison you can help it by installing the Transgo trim valves. ( only requires a pan and valve body drop ) This will not help your converter. From what I am hearing the converters on the 6 speeds are letting loose quicker than the older ones. You must also remember that the C3s are going to be overworked even more with the 6 speed than they ever were with the 5 speed.
When the C3 comes on in 3rd gear it pulls the engine down ( rpm ) and heats the C3 pretty good, then shortly after the Ally shifts to 4th and the C3 is trimmed off ( slipped off ). This heats the C3 even more. Next shift is 5th and the C3 is back on ( it is really getting hot now ). Next shift is 6th and the C3 is trimmed off again. You can guess what is happening. You have all of this going on plus the fact the there is not enough lubricating oil for the C3 to help cool it down. The 6 speed needs more help than the 5 speed. Hope this helps you guys understand what is going on in your Allys.
mike

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
In other words, don't mod it if you can't afford a tranny. Myself, I plan on gettin the edge and attitude for gauges only until she reaches 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

You have all of this going on plus the fact the there is not enough lubricating oil for the C3 to help cool it down. The 6 speed needs more help than the 5 speed. Hope this helps you guys understand what is going on in your Allys.
Thanks, Mike...

I (always) monitor my gauges... My Transmission Temperature has never been over 120-Degrees... Not even on a long road trip... I haven't "Towed" yet, though. Does that mean mine "Isn't" getting hot? Or is the "Temp" you're referring to something else?

I guess you (also) mean... If I don't want to buy a Transmission... Take the Pup down to Two/Econ... Huh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I neglected to mention that we are increasing the fluid flow to the C3s for much better cooling, but only a few people know how to do that do that. It does require using a SC 4 kit.
mike

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dumb Question

I neglected to mention that we are increasing the fluid flow to the C3s for much better cooling, but only a few people know how to do that do that. It does require using a SC 4 kit.
mike
How does this (procedure) affect the OEM Warranty? :confused:

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I suggest the Transgo trim valves in every one of these asap.
That reminds me......Mike...You still got my adress of my dads shop.....I need to get a kit coming :)

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I've been inside a trans a few times......only my stage 3 kersploaded. And since there is no thrust bearings in the VB I should be OK. Actually last trans I screwed with I had to play with bearings but its still running :D Thanks to Mike L:)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
How does this (procedure) affect the OEM Warranty? :confused:
It's probably going to depend somewhat on the dealer but adding and/or changing parts in the trans is in GM's eyes a no-no as far as warranty issues.

If you think that you want GM just to handle it if it fails think about that while sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with your family and a trans that won't pull your trailer because the clutches are just not holding and you need to get towed so GM can fix it. I say get the thing fixed right and be done with it but thats JMHO. Whew! I ran out of breath typing that sentence.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm Confused

If you think that you want GM just to handle it if it fails think about that while sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with your family and a trans that won't pull your trailer because the clutches are just not holding and you need to get towed so GM can fix it. I say get the thing fixed right and be done with it but thats JMHO.
When the C3 comes on in 3rd gear it pulls the engine down ( rpm ) and heats the C3 pretty good, then shortly after the Ally shifts to 4th and the C3 is trimmed off ( slipped off ). This heats the C3 even more. Next shift is 5th and the C3 is back on ( it is really getting hot now ). Next shift is 6th and the C3 is trimmed off again. You can guess what is happening. You have all of this going on plus the fact the there is not enough lubricating oil for the C3 to help cool it down. The 6 speed needs more help than the 5 speed. Hope this helps you guys understand what is going on in your Allys.
Now I'm confused...

So what you (you knowledgeable ones) are saying is (I think), Don't use a "Tuner" if you have a "Stock" Allison.

Okay... That's "Advice". Good advice, I assume. :exactly:

Now... What is happening to the "C3s", etc. when I'm going up a 6% grade at 50 MPH for 10 to 12 Miles and there are "Flat-Spots" and "Risers"? (Causing the transmission to Up-Shift and Down-Shift) Are you saying the Transmission will "Cook" on a hard pull? (Assuming I don't have the Tuner on and I don't lug the engine)

In other words... Is it the extra "Torque" added by the tuner that causes the problem or is it this "Shifting C3 Thingy"?

I liked your (Mike L) explanation of what's happening BUT, I'm confused...

I thought the 6-Speed Allison was "The best on the market" for a Pick-up Truck...

:help: I don't want to "Sit on the side of the road", and I don't want to "Void the warranty" on my "Brand New Truck"...

More advise please...

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
It is the upshifting under extreme power that hurts the C3. If you are going to run big power you must upgrade Ally. If you are not ready to do so, cut the power down . You will then be ok.
mike

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
It is the upshifting under extreme power that hurts the C3. If you are going to run big power you must upgrade Ally. If you are not ready to do so, cut the power down . You will then be ok.
mike
Mike, I'm curious. What about that stock truck you saw the bad C3's on?

Now I'm confused...

So what you (you knowledgeable ones) are saying is (I think), Don't use a "Tuner" if you have a "Stock" Allison.

Okay... That's "Advice". Good advice, I assume. :exactly:

Now... What is happening to the "C3s", etc. when I'm going up a 6% grade at 50 MPH for 10 to 12 Miles and there are "Flat-Spots" and "Risers"? (Causing the transmission to Up-Shift and Down-Shift) Are you saying the Transmission will "Cook" on a hard pull? (Assuming I don't have the Tuner on and I don't lug the engine)

In other words... Is it the extra "Torque" added by the tuner that causes the problem or is it this "Shifting C3 Thingy"?

I liked your (Mike L) explanation of what's happening BUT, I'm confused...

I thought the 6-Speed Allison was "The best on the market" for a Pick-up Truck...

:help: I don't want to "Sit on the side of the road", and I don't want to "Void the warranty" on my "Brand New Truck"...

More advise please...

I'm definately not an expert or a "knowledgable one". That's Mike's department. I've just read some things about this trans that don't make me personally comfortable with even stock. Of course there is only a limited amount of information at this point on these new transmissions. Sorry I didn't mean to scare you. I did see a post that Mike had that said he saw C3 damage from a stock 6speed. That's what I was basing my post on. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Just listen to what Mike says. I do.

I do know you won't void your warranty if you don't modify the trans, or add programmers and keep up with GM's maintenance through the dealer. Some dealers may be more foregiving than others about this but since GM seems to be cracking down on things these days why risk it. Again I appologize for any confusion I may have caused. Good luck and by all means enjoy that truck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never...

I appologize for any confusion I may have caused. Good luck and by all means enjoy that truck!
No apologies necessary... Give (Good) "Thoughtful" advice...

Off the cuff "Don't worry about it" is the stuff that gets people in the "Sorry" mode.

I Thank You for the "Advice"... (Mike too) Keep it coming. I'm sure others feel the same.

And... I will (do) enjoy my truck... :exactly:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Very few Allys have come through my shop without damaged C3s. Some of the trucks had never been driven hard or towed anything. I would say 90% or more Allys on the road today have black marks on the inside diameter on the C3s. This is because of lack of lube IMHO. On most stock trucks these black marks may not mean much and will go 200K miles without a problem. Add a little power and now we have suspect C3s. Add more power and we have a limp. ( they are finished). Proper synthetic fluid will help a lot. I am very impressed with the Citgo QuatraSyn fluid as it has been doing better than anything I have seen on the track.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Very few Allys have come through my shop without damaged C3s. Some of the trucks had never been driven hard or towed anything. I would say 90% or more Allys on the road today have black marks on the inside diameter on the C3s. This is because of lack of lube IMHO. On most stock trucks these black marks may not mean much and will go 200K miles without a problem. Add a little power and now we have suspect C3s. Add more power and we have a limp. ( they are finished). Proper synthetic fluid will help a lot. I am very impressed with the Citgo QuatraSyn fluid as it has been doing better than anything I have seen on the track.
Thanks for clearing things up Mike. I'll have to check on the Citgo QuatraSyn fluid. Is it OK to use to top off the Ally when needed? Sorry to go off topic here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts