Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm reaching out because several years back you responded to a post regarding an Allison transmission that blew a transmission line and the wife continued driving until it stopped.
My son's 05 Duramax LLY 2500HD 6.6L w/ 170k. He was driving and one of his transmission lines blew and dumped all the fluid down the side of his truck. Check Engine light came on, truck drove for about 30 more seconds and dropped to about 25mph before it came to a stop. The truck line was reconnected and fluid put back in, truck will go into reverse but whenever put into a forward gear the icon (D,1,2,3) on dash flashes. Not sure if anyone has heard of something like this but in a previous post LBZjunkie stated he replaced the transmission cooler line and that worked.

Does any of this sound familiar or can anyone offer some advice. Transmission shop thinks he damaged/injured the trans and we need a new one.

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
54 Posts
Hello, I'm reaching out because several years back you responded to a post regarding an Allison transmission that blew a transmission line and the wife continued driving until it stopped.
My son's 05 Duramax LLY 2500HD 6.6L w/ 170k. He was driving and one of his transmission lines blew and dumped all the fluid down the side of his truck. Check Engine light came on, truck drove for about 30 more seconds and dropped to about 25mph before it came to a stop. The truck line was reconnected and fluid put back in, truck will go into reverse but whenever put into a forward gear the icon (D,1,2,3) on dash flashes. Not sure if anyone has heard of something like this but in a previous post LBZjunkie stated he replaced the transmission cooler line and that worked.

Does any of this sound familiar or can anyone offer some advice. Transmission shop thinks he damaged/injured the trans and we need a new one.
Not sure about the D,1,2,3 part, but my wife got into an accident with our LLY cracked cooler dumped all fluid out. Replaced cooler changed both filters and refilled fluid. I did have to clear a bunch of codes. I did all that before driving truck. I would check for codes and clear them first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son did clear the code before writing down and now not giving any codes but a glow plug that we've always had. I'm thinking it may be NSBU or Ignition switch. I don't feel like the short time running the truck while it was dumping until it stopped would kill the transmission. IDK, I just don't want to drop $4-5K to replace. We literally just bought the truck.

·
Administrator
19,695 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would first grab a scanner that can pull TCM codes and check for any trans codes then post them here.
Getting those codes will get you the correct diagnostic path to go down
(y)

Reactions: legendman

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,941 Posts
x2 on what OKDually said.
I had my truck all ripped apart and when I got it back together it had all kinds of codes.
A couple were fixed by checking connections and then clearing them with scanner.
Once cleared they never came back.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would first grab a scanner that can pull TCM codes and check for any trans codes then post them here.
Getting those codes will get you the correct diagnostic path to go down
(y)
Will the scanner read the codes if it doesn't show any?

·
Administrator
19,695 Posts
Will the scanner read the codes if it doesn't show any?
What normally happens when a transmission issue occurs is the TCM will trigger a P0700 code and light up the CEL light on your cluster.
The P0700 code means the TCM detected an issue.
If no P0700 code is present there may be stored codes in the TCM.

You would then need a scanner that is capable of pulling the TCM codes to actually see what the TCM is reporting.
You can call around and check with your local auto parts stores and see if their scanners can read TCM codes.
The Auto Parts stores will check your codes for free

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure about the D,1,2,3 part, but my wife got into an accident with our LLY cracked cooler dumped all fluid out. Replaced cooler changed both filters and refilled fluid. I did have to clear a bunch of codes. I did all that before driving truck. I would check for codes and clear them first.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper
Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Bumper Automotive exterior

This is what pan looked like

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What normally happens when a transmission issue occurs is the TCM will trigger a P0700 code and light up the CEL light on your cluster.
The P0700 code means the TCM detected an issue.
If no P0700 code is present there may be stored codes in the TCM.

You would then need a scanner that is capable of pulling the TCM codes to actually see what the TCM is reporting.
You can call around and check with your local auto parts stores and see if their scanners can read TCM codes.
The Auto Parts stores will check your codes for free
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper
Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Bumper Automotive exterior

This is what the pan looked like

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to tell but it looks like the same amount. I had in my truck after the accident. Did you check for codes? How old is the fluid/ pan dropped? As others have said checking codes and troubleshooting those codes are going to give you the most bang for the buck.
I can’t duplicate any codes. I have the glow plug code that isn’t related. I guess I shouldn’t have had my som clear the codes with our scanner. Ugh!

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
54 Posts
I can’t duplicate any codes. I have the glow plug code that isn’t related. I guess I shouldn’t have had my som clear the codes with our scanner. Ugh!
Well then I’d clean up the pan, change both filters and refill transmission. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well then I’d clean up the pan, change both filters and refill transmission. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Yeah that’s all done. Changed the cooler line, put on new NSBU switch and same thing. Will go in reverse but no forward motion. Sounds like it wants to pull but doesn’t move. 😭

·
Administrator
19,695 Posts
Yeah that’s all done. Changed the cooler line, put on new NSBU switch and same thing. Will go in reverse but no forward motion. Sounds like it wants to pull but doesn’t move. 😭
Have you verified the fluid level is correct after the fluid and filter change?

Reactions: 2005 willys
1 - 15 of 15 Posts