Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

Okay, I went to the "Dealer" to have him change my "Filter" (only) and, of course, the "Service-Writer" wrote it up as "Transmission-Service"... $160.00 :eek: ... I've since got that fixed... (Down to $60.00)... I know it's too much, but.

Anyways... I just ordered 6 (Spin-On) filters and one "Magnet". (Just in case) $10.00 for the filters and $4.00 for the magnet.

My question is; What "Fluid" comes in the '06 Allison (Stock)? Is it Dexron VI or is it Transyn? (Or is it something else?)

Ive done a search and I can't find "What Fluid" is in the trans, just "When" to service it...

Please :help:

I want to change my Filter more often but I don't know what "Fluid" to buy...

Assistance is appreciated...

:thankyou2

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
It comes with Dex VI ;)

60 dollars! :eek:

You dont even need to put in extra fluid. You hardly lose any when you change the spin on. Just put a CLEAN bucket under the filter, unscrew it, and let whatever comes out go into the bucket. Then before you put the new filter on, just pour all the fluid that came out into the new filter, and screw it on. Takes 10 minutes, and after I did it this way, the tranny fluid level on the dipstick was identical as it was before I changed the spin-on. Which is good, because I run TranSynd in mine, and the smallest container of tranSynd is 1 gallon, and thats about 40 dollars...

Ben

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just put a CLEAN bucket under the filter, unscrew it, and let whatever comes out go into the bucket. Then before you put the new filter on, just pour all the fluid that came out into the new filter, and screw it on.

:badidea: , Just spend the money and refill new filter with FRESH CLEAN fluid.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have to agree, $35K+ for a truck I won't draining the fluid from a used filter anywhere but into the waste oil tank!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
ehh it worked for me, and my fluids still clean :D

If I had had some TranSynd availble, I would have filled the filter with clean TranSynd..but I didnt.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Remember, unlike the fuel filter which has no anti-drainback, the oil filters have a seal that prevents oil from coming out of the perimeter holes. This is where the "dirty" oil enters.

The oil found in the central bore has been filtered, and can be safely poured into a new filter.

I wouldn't do it... but in theory, it's safe :)

It is only "safe" to pre-fill a new fuel filter if you can ensure that ALL of the added fuel enters the filter through the perimeter holes.

Pouring pump-#2 into the center is running a shot of unfiltered #2 into the injectors at startup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts