Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil on my truck and noticed there was transmission fluid all over the spin on. Looks like it might be leaking out. Time to change it maybe? Not sure because I just did this about 6K miles ago.. I made sure it was tight and that there were no holes in the filter.. Any ideas?
Trans temps are normal and truck is running fine...

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
If I remember right, because of the thickness of the gasket, over tightening it was why mine leaked according to the dealer.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I cleaned it up and I am going to watch it. Most likely I will just change here in the near future. Just wanted to make sure.. Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mine leaked in exactly the same fashion due to overtightening it. It looked like fluid was just pouring over the edge of it all the way around it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ask Allison...

I made sure it was tight and that there were no holes in the filter.. Any ideas?
Well... If you look here;

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/faq/index.jsp?CategoryID=11

they say;

Q. Filters - How many filters are there and when do they need to be changed?

A. The Allison 1000 Series™ uses two filters to maintain cleanliness of the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). There is a 'spin-on' filter that is externally accessible and is intended to be changed at each ATF change (see owners manual for recommended change intervals). Current P/N for this filter is 29539579. Because this is a relatively 'high pressure' spin-on filter, it is important to tighten the filter one full turn after the gasket contacts the transmission case. Also, there is a removable magnet between the filter and the transmission housing; care needs to be taken that the magnet doesn't get 'thrown away' with the old filter if it happens to stick to the old filter. Beginning with MY03, GM Truck is recommending that the spin-on filter (filter only; not transmission fluid) initially be changed at 7,500 miles. Following that, the filter and fluid should be changed at the recommended intervals. The other filter is inside the transmission oil pan, and is intended to be changed only in the event of an overhaul.

:)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Kimosabe,

That information is true, but... listening to Mike L, it is best to change the spin on every engine oil change. For the cost of it, I change it often.

jb

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree

listening to Mike L, it is best to change the spin on every engine oil change. For the cost of it, I change it often.
I agree 100%... Mike L ... "He da Man" :exactly:

No nonsense... Truth-Giver... I'm glad he's on our side. ):h

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any tips for changing the Allison spin-on quickly?

Haven't done this before. Any tips on how to minimize fluid loss while doing spin-on change, dealing with magnet, etc.?:help:

Thanks - GB

·
Registered
91 Posts
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Me thinks the filter bulkhead metal composition is such that over tightening will cause it to yield and release tension on the gasket allowing leakage under pressure ~ thats my story and I'm stickin' toit;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts