Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions about changing the Allison spin-on filter.

1. How much fluid should I use. It seems like I will need about 4 ounces + what is required to fill the filter. So how much fluid will the filter hold?

2. How can I pre-fill the filter, when it is mounted horizontally. Do I stand my truck up on its tailgate?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Mounted horizontally?
My Allison filter is vertical. It's the little red one back on the tranny. When you take the filter off, it will have about 4 oz of fluid in it, a bit more will drip from the filter mounting - but not much. Make sure you take off the ring magnet that should be on top of the removed filter, but could be up around the mounting nipple. Wipe off the magnet well with rags or a paper towel. You can pour clean ATF right into the new filter center and the holes around the outside. Center the magnet back on the filter, put a thin film of clean ATF on the filter gasket and screw her on. The filter should be turned 1 to 1-1/4 turns after gasket contact. The amount of fluid you lose should be nearly equal to the amount you pre-fill into the new cartridge. The difference is not measurable on the tranny dipstick. Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
21 Posts
tim1970,

What filter did you think was the Ally filter?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about that...

I am an idiot...

I haven't looked under my truck since I bought it, and I would have sworn when I looked at it then, that the filter was mounted horizontally.

Shoot... This is a piece of cake now.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
No apologies needed and don't be too hard on yourself. When I bought my DMax I was "well informed" by diesel forums, had printed-out the TSB and had even scheduled maintenance at my dealer to get my two-piece drive shaft replaced. Luckily, before the morning I was supposed to take it in, I crawled under to check on something else, and
Whoops! I had a steel one-piece! Now that's an idiot!!
Good thing I moved away and started going to another dealer after that!

·
Registered
626 Posts
You could have took your hacksaw and made a 2 piece drive shaft when you got there just for fun.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Naw, Bluemax, that would have been too much work with a hacksaw - and they would have replaced it with one of those "aluminum torpedos" to boot! I think I'll stick with the steel one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts