Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the edge attitude and plan to stack it with the predator or stealth tuner, probaly the 135, but will not run it there all the time. my question is, should i put a knew TC in while my tranny is out? What is the Transgo capable of handling without a knew TC? Most people upgrading there trannys put in knew TC, so i was wondering how it will hold without one. Also, for those who have done the Transgo install, how hard is it to do in a weekend, without a lift and what, if any, special tools are required for this operation.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
IF I WERE YOU I WOULD SPEND THE EXTRA DOUGH BECAUSE WHEN YOU GRENADE YOUR STOCK CONVERTER ITS GONNA BE PRETTY DEEP TO GET TO. I PUT THE KIT IN THIS PAST WEEKEND AND IT CAN EASILY BE PUT IN IN ONE WEEKEND. YOURE GOING TO NEED A TOOL OF SOME SORT TO COMPRESS THE SPRING CAGES IN ORDER TO REMOVE A SNAP RING. OTHER THAN THAT, THATS ABOUT IT. I BUILT MY OWN TOOL TO DO IT. IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT A LIFT BUT IT SURE MAKES IT EASIER TO DO, WITH ONE.

IM SURE MIKE L CAN TELL YOU MORE ON WHAT THE STOCK CONVERTER WILL DO AND NOT DO

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
duramax hd said:
I have the edge attitude and plan to stack it with the predator or stealth tuner, probaly the 135, but will not run it there all the time. my question is, should i put a knew TC in while my tranny is out? What is the Transgo capable of handling without a knew TC? Most people upgrading there trannys put in knew TC, so i was wondering how it will hold without one. Also, for those who have done the Transgo install, how hard is it to do in a weekend, without a lift and what, if any, special tools are required for this operation.
Stacking that power level will still have the potential to slip the converter in lock up .... Adding a Triple disk will give additional surface and holding power ....
Why pull the tranny twice ..... ?? Add a Converter from the get go ,you'll be glad you did ....

Mac

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree.

All or nothing. The time and effort or $$$ if you have someone do it makes the new TC the right choice.

Besides look around on this forum, horsepower is more addictive than heroin!
You will want more and the old TC will be toast.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I Know a guy or two that have been running , just the transgo, no convertor with a 215 stacked with a hot edge and attitude mon for a while now. although they aren't spooling and launching, and it took over 30,000km to start slipping the convertor!!! and they drive pretty eratic minus the brake boosting!!!!!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have the transgo kit, Conv is on its last legs.. I knew better , but had to wait financially, but remember, I dont have to pay R&R cost twice.. its just a couple hours on the hoist to slip a new conv in for me.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Sound like the big power guys need the converter/clutch paks and shift kit? Is there one kit that is better than the other? ATS,SUNCOAST any others?

·
Registered
185 Posts
duramax hd said:
From the hp ratings of the Transgo, I don't see the need for a new TC.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
JRmac

That statement is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. Have you noticed that you stopped the thread with your wisdom. Nobody is answering cause they are laughing. I think you should go on a quest to find a dyno that will handle that big bad 15sec Duramax of yours.

your friend, mike

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Mackin said:
I dunno if I was laughing but I was scratching my head saying WTF !!!

Mac

YEA ME TOO

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mike L. said:
JRmac

That statement is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. Have you noticed that you stopped the thread with your wisdom. Nobody is answering cause they are laughing. I think you should go on a quest to find a dyno that will handle that big bad 15sec Duramax of yours.

your friend, mike
Dear MIKEY

I was talking about racing not towing. A converter with better T/H clutches is going to make it faster?????Come on
a
everyone.

I thought you were a TRANS-GUY? Guess not [email protected]()ff! Maybe you're confused installing pedals on bicyles does not make you a transmission pro. (I guess that is why the car guys are now ordering low/stall converters with the new and improved super racing T/H option, for their drag-cars)

I had combo HP stack on my truck since the corner of the dealers lot. The stock alli is smoked, but it will still run LOW 13's, hitting LIMP-MODE before the lights. (got at-least 300 time-slips here beside me. Trany's been through alot.)

When I get ready to DYNO again U will be the first one I invite (even ahead of ST CL) if you can handle 3/4-a-grand #'s

The Alli will be operational by spring. I'll invite you, maybe you can double my #'s

As always it's been fun MIKEY

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
OK

I think i understand that i don't know sh*t about transmissions.(sorry Mack, i accept the hand slap). But, what did the rest of that stuff mean?

JRmac

The torque converter design an any car or truck is suspect and weak because they are built with human comfort in mind.(does PWM ring a bell?) do you know what that means? Now, add unflat billet converter cover, then add sloppy clutch material bonded hap-hazar over rivets, then add some reall power and you have a problem. Please tell me what PWM means and how it effects a converter and drivability, and longevety. Then explain to me why an aftermarket h/d converter is not necessary.

mike

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mike L

PWM.....?????? You were really trying to stump me wasn't you.

(replaces extra plumbing with electric solonids)

Pulse Width Modulation.................eng/rpms/shaft/speeds...............helps on Conv/lock...Learn/modes...Drivability...etc.

I still don't understand HD Conv for racing, I guess I wasn't clear in my first post. I however do see needs for towing-economy-&-lower temps.

To out run the local ricers/mustangs/vetts...ect Trans-go & stock converter still the best bang for the buck.

Gotta go I'M JUST DAZED & CONFUSED I guess.
&
Edited by: JRmac

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mikey, mikey, little mikey

You are so right!!!
Keep pushing gimic's some will fall. I don't blame you. Gotta feed the family right.
I just was wondering how many converters have failed internaly? I guess that is something most will never know. I'm not talking about external cracks or tab breakage. Just change in stall or performance. If were talking Lock-up then that's a diffrent subject.(as we add more HP) I still don't think a converter change is going make that much differnce in 1/4 mile times. I'll do some testing when the weather gets better. Not afraid to take it apart several times. (put a trans kit in/ try it/ then ad a converter/ try it again) We'll just have to wait and see I guess?

Happy Pedal-en Mikey

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies. So if i decide to upgrade my TC, what will be best bang for the buck. i dont plan on going overboard on power so will the TC from the stage 1 suncoast(61sq inch in surface area single disc) be sufficent? or will the stage 2 (96 sq inch multi plate) be better.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If I had to do it over again, I'd still go with a billet reinforced single-disk converter. I've not seen any cases yet where one's failed in non-racing applications or for power levels less than 500rwhp.

Doug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.