Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running a Transgo and SC 1050-3 converter for about a year. This is a lly without the new cutback valve and I replaced with new stock clutches where needed. Mobile 1 syn.fluid. Just tore the tranny down and said I'd post findings and thoughts good or bad. Might get flamed, but here goes.

History:
Ran the truck with propane and the biggest tune at the time daily, then added N20 at the track. Maybe two months and 25-1/4 mile runs(107mph).

Installed second turbo and installed the lastest and greatest tunes. Dyno'd over 500hp. I drove the truck hard with tuners stacked daily at over 500hp up until I tore it down today.

I ran somewhere around 100-1/4 mile high boosted passes. The tranny never limped or set any codes. I did have slow shifts at the track, sometimes terribly slow, easy to tell it was defueling on 2/3 shift and sometimes 3/4 shift.

Findings:

Fluid smelled and looked like new.

C5's looked like new(think they always do)

C4's were about 95%.(edit. after looking at pics, I'd say worse) Had just some darking on a couple of frictions

C3's were very discolored, some frictions were almost totally black. The outer frictions were not nearly as bad(maybe lack of fluid to cool the inner ones?). Steels had hot spots on them. Frictions showed no sign of delaminating or coming apart.

C2's were about 98%. No discoloration on the frictions or hot spots on the steels.

C1's frictions were dark. Steels looked good. Frictions were dark but not glazed or delaminating, but still showed heavy signs of heat.

Thoughts:
I've had many people ask me about the cheap route that I took. I wanted to post my findings, because I've never heard of anyone posting test results of transgo/converter before.

My bill from Merchant auto on everything at the time was $1725.00. Add $100.00 for syn. fluid and $50.00 trans jack rental, and maybe some misc. for a total of less than $2000.00.

Conclusion: Not so hard to R & R a allison in your garage, gets easier the second time):h But I kind of enjoy the punishment. I'll let the findings speak for themselves, and not add my opinions. My time was about 4hrs for removal, 5 hours on rebuild, 4 hours on install.

I do have pics of the clutches on my camera, but haven't figured out how to load them(new camera)

Rob

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Sounds good Rob...what are you going to be replacing the trans with? ATS/Suncoast clutches? What converter? The LLY cutback valve?

Ben

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i have also been seeing my lazy shifts with the trans-go, might be time for a refresh as well

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good Rob...what are you going to be replacing the trans with? ATS/Suncoast clutches? What converter? The LLY cutback valve?

Ben
New stock clutches. TTS modded C3 pressure plate/spacer(allowing one more friction/steel). Pressure, lube mods and advice from JakeGMCHD:ro)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing the info.

You are a great test case for the Transgo/converter option since you run high hp tunes and have lots of track time.

At what point did you notice the performance degredation? Was it just as of late or has it been going on a while?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oh fooooken :eek: wow those bast @ rds are cooked I can't believe it never limped. Mine limped like 12 times and C-3's did not look half as bad as yours, C-4's looked the same though

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At what point did you notice the performance degredation? Was it just as of late or has it been going on a while?
Never shifted great at the track with full power. When I ran the pane/N20 combo early on, I had some bad flaring shifts. I think I hurt the clutches early on by suddenly throwing a ton of power at it.

The 1-2, and 4-5 shifts have always been good, but the 2-3 shift has been fairly soft from the earliest track runs.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That's good info there!

More pressure should help along with those extra clutches in C3.

Good luck with your rebuild. You are more adventurous than me doing a DIY garage job.

Again thanks for the info and pics.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's back in a running again. Had a little scare. Started the truck last night , test drove and was stuck in limp mode(3rd/rev. only):eek:

Threw codes 700,748,763,768 which are misc. solenoid codes, so figured electrical connection. I went to bed not worrying too much about it.

Woke up this morning to 3" of new unforcasted snow. I have commerical plow contracts, now the worry starts to get serious. Jump under the truck and grab the 20 pin connector.....and it falls out. Plug it in until fully seated, cleared codes, and works like a champ.

I feel the "pucker factor" as being the biggest worry about a DIY job. I didn't do a DIY job because of money or pride, just no one here close that I'd trust with the job. I like to take my time and try to get things right(except electrical plugs:rolleyes: ) Add up the time, worry, and phyical abuse, the tranny pros are well worth it if you can find one close:ro)

Well, stay tuned for another right-up upon dissembly on how the transgo/converter/+extra mods, fares with even more power. Hopefully it will live another year of hard abuse, and if not, I'll have tried the basic tranny mods from the ground up.

Probably seems kind of dumb doing it this way, but "I'm not a smart man"

Rob

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have been considering the transgo and a converter, and replacing any burnt clutches. I cant find the instructions on the transgo install, I'd like to know how involved it is. I know you have to tear half the thing apart, I would just like to know what all is involved.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been considering the transgo and a converter, and replacing any burnt clutches. I cant find the instructions on the transgo install, I'd like to know how involved it is. I know you have to tear half the thing apart, I would just like to know what all is involved.
There's a write-up in the Do-It-Yourself section by Eric Merchant, might do a search on it also. I did a write-up on it a year or so ago when I did it for the first time. You'll have to tear the whole thing apart to check all the clutch packs. Good luck

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
As soon as I sell my 85' Chevy I'm gonna do the same thing. Rob is my hero cuz he didn't do what everyone else said which is spend $4000- $5000 and have your tranny done. I put my xcellerator on 4 this weekend and limped it twice so I can't wait to do my tranny asap.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Rob is my hero cuz he didn't do what everyone else said which is spend $4000- $5000 and have your tranny done.
He also is going back in after a year which might not be for everyone.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I ran the same combo for a while too rob, but only ran NOS on it a few times and it looked good coming apart as well. A transgo and converter is definately in that "most bang for the buck" category when it comes to tranny mods.

thanks for doing the write-up!

·
Registered
575 Posts
He also is going back in after a year which might not be for everyone.
I have been following the Allison threads,he isnt the only one going back in after a year,I still dont think any one company has got a bulletproof setup yet for the allison.They are much better than stock,but it seems some guys have still had to go back in after dropping big $$.

Idaho Rob,nice work, i hope the mods hold better this time.When i get a DMax i will be doing the same mods if things havent changed by then.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts