Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on what type of tranny upgrade would be the best both money wise and performance wise. I have an 05 duramax with the edge/attitude 4" banks exhaust (no kitty), blocker plate and finger stick, the only other upgrade I will do is a boost stick. This is my daily driver which I also use to plow with in the winter. I am not looking to upgrade any further then what I mentioned but would like the ability to play in level 5 without limping. Was looking at the transgo kit for the upgrade but was not sure if that would be enough? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
im sitting the same for mods and ideas as you, except mines an 07. Does anyone know for sure???
will just the transgo handle this if im pulling a 6 place enclosed snowmobile trailer?

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I think it really just depends on driving style and how well the trans was built from the get go. Some just seem to take abuse and some dont. Is a trans go and running a high level going to live? Maybe maybe not. I would also really think about a torque converter, one of the weaker links.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Trango, good triple disk converter, fresh clutches

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The Full Transgo Kit for the '05 and earlier truck will hold about 500 RwHp but the factory converter will not. The Transgo Jr. will hold about the same for the '06 and later but again the converter will not. The factory clutchs hold up just as well as any of the aftermarket ones we have seen and tested so you will need to check them if you are pulling things apart. The way to do it is to install the kit and a conveter before you damage things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I was planning on upgrading the TC as well. I've read alot of articles on the "Flair" that you get from the tranny and if its what I think it is I can't stand it!! Will the transgo and TC get rid of it??

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I believe it should. Not possitive but pretty sure.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The flair as you have called it can be caused from a weak transmission or poor aftermarket tuning, so I would not say it will solve it for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rpms seem to go higher before truck really gets going... In 5ht gear locked I love it. Seems as though all power making it to the ground. That is what I'm looking for in all gears. I don't know if my definition of "Flair" is what the others are talking about. Whatever it is, putting the power to the ground is my goal without spending a fortune.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
A quick test would be to leave the program set in one position for a week or two. If the Flair goes away or gets better then the Transgo may solve your issue. If the Flair remains then remove the power adder by unplugging it and see if its gone. A transgo and a good converter will hold about 500 RwHp

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, I spoke with Mike L. today and mentioned the "Flair" to him. I shut off the defuel in the tuner and it appears to be better already. I'm very new to diesel and really appreciate the advice you guys have to give. Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Mike, I was answereing the message on the other page and never saw your reply. Thanks for the info you gave me today on the phone. It worked.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i am looking for a tranny upgrade to for my 05 as well. all my mods are in the sig. what is all recomended and where can i purchase? and around how much am i lookin at?

·
Registered
23 Posts
my first post so please hang w/ me. i have been running edge level 5 for three years for every day driving(no thumping) and have not had a single problem. its not to say it wont drop the next time i drive it but up to now it has run like a champ. in fact my fuel milage has gone up to 20-21 around town and up to 26 on hwy depending on the foot. the flare you speak of sounds like the defueling and i believe that is what i have felt on occasion when i have "gotten into it" but have never limped it or coded(thank you edge monitoring system). on that note i am also looking at transgo as an upgrade because i bought a 34ft 5th wheel and do not want to get standed. is transgo enough (dose not sound like it) or do i need a converter as well and which one. has anyone from pa made this upgrade. thank you and sorry to be long winded.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts