Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order a transgo jr kit and a lot of Mobil delvac for my truck. Is it worth it to put on a mag-tec deep pan and filter while I'm at it? My trans never gets over 225 the way it is now.

Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can get the Allison deep pan (part number 29536522). You can find it on-line for about $65. It adds 3.5 quarts. You'll also need the deep filter (Allison part number 29542824). If you're switching to the deep pan you should also get the Merchant Automotive Deep filter lock. The upgrade is well worth the extra $100.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
Leave the stock pan (lots of arguments over the deep pan) in place and/or install a larger cooler from PPE designed by Mike L. for around $450.00. You can also raise the stock cooler and flip it 180 degrees which puts it into the airflow, ran mine for well over a year and did see temperature decreases.

I still have my stock pan, just don't think it'll do much good and August temperatures do reach 120 degrees sitting in stop and go traffic.

Old and new cooler...
=

=
=
I relocated both coolers and now have the original transmission cooler being used as a fuel cooler and a number changes by replacing the lower air flow shield, cutting the lower bumper holes larger, opening up the spot where the 2" body raise at the bumper is atop the bumper to feed airflow to direct air to the Mike L./PPEtransmissions cooler
=

=
Original air flow panel
=

=
=
Template
=

=
=
New and improved panel for air flow.
=

=
=

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not to concerned with the temps at this time. Only tow/haul around 7k with the travel trailer at the moment which this truck does with ease. I think I just like the idea of additional fluid. I have seen the argument that more fluid takes longer to heat up but also takes longer to cool down. My theory (and it's just that) is that when talking about contamination it's measured by parts per a """" and the more fluid there is the fewer parts per a """" there is in the fluid.

I think for precautions I will take your advice on the cooler location and the splash guard. Can't hurt to keep more air running across the fins.

Thank you for the input guys.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the transgo jr. today. 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac sitting in the garage. Looks like I have another weekend project to do.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My recommendation is to get the old style deep filter and Merchant Auto filter lock.
When removing the valve body take out just the bolts that hold it in, not the ones that hold it together (as shown in picture).
Carefully inspect the new valve spools (with magnifying glass) for any nicks, dents, or burrs. Clean them up with 600 grit wet sand paper and oil.
Test each valve spool without springs in their bores for smooth operation. Note how deep they insert so that when doing final assembly with springs you get them seated all the way.
Clean up separator plate with flat sharpening stone to remove burrs. I also did this on the one side of the plate that was pretty scratched up from the factory to minimize pressure leaks.
Take your time, try to be dust free, wipe everything with lint free rags

Attachments

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
I would not sand any valve as that will remove the sharp edges on the valve. The sharp edges are for pushing debris out of the bore. If you need to clean a valve; use a soft buffing wheel.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I made the wet sanding recommendation based upon two points. Reading posts from people who installed the TransGo JR and had issues that typically turned out to be stuck valves. Inspecting the valves with a 20x loop showed many dings and scuffs from rough handling. My feeling is that for the home mechanic the awareness to carefully inspect the valve spools and "clean them up" is solid advice. For me using oiled wet paper and carefully rolling the valves spools to gently knock off any high spots was good insurance that I didn't have to pull it back apart again.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
I made the wet sanding recommendation based upon two points. Reading posts from people who installed the TransGo JR and had issues that typically turned out to be stuck valves. Inspecting the valves with a 20x loop showed many dings and scuffs from rough handling. My feeling is that for the home mechanic the awareness to carefully inspect the valve spools and "clean them up" is solid advice. For me using oiled wet paper and carefully rolling the valves spools to gently knock off any high spots was good insurance that I didn't have to pull it back apart again.
You shouldn't believe everything you read.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wish I would have taken magnified pictures of how dinged and scuffed the spools in my kit were. No way was I putting them in without using some method to clean them up.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I wish I would have taken magnified pictures of how dinged and scuffed the spools in my kit were. No way was I putting them in without using some method to clean them up.
I wouldn't of used that kit. Anything that I buy if it's damiged it gets returned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts