Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the old hats out there—this is old news—just remember when you first did this. For the guys considering transmission upgrades this is a must read. This goes along with the “should I do it” question. My truck had an exhaust, intake and the edge with attitude and when it shifted it would do the “flaring” thing I’ve heard mentioned in various posts especially on 4 and 5 setting. It definitely wouldn’t spin the tires (very much) unless you brake torque it. Don’t get me wrong it moved the 315s but it was lackluster. Anyway, we just finished the install of a Precision Industries converter, Transgo full kit, and Alto Red Eagle clutches. No other tunes but the juice. WOW, I spin in every gear up to 4th! Through 1st and 2nd the tires are loose all the way through the gears just Amazing! The gear changes are unreal. I’m just blown away.
Had to tell someone—the wife just doesn’t get it.
Now I need a real tune! PPE? EFI? Oh yeah and a fuel pump.
:rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Awesome! I was just going to ask a question that related to this and you pretty much answered it. I dont have the money for a full tranny and I am just wanting something that I can run my juice all the way up on and work with hot juice if I decide to get that also. How much did all of this cost you and how hard was it to do??

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nice Bud:cool: . Always good to hear from guy's super stoked about the mods they just installed and how they performed. I just picked up my 07' Ext Cab Automatic:) . I have a ZF-6 too and boy I hate to say it, but their is no comparison. Cant wait to pump it:D .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where did you pick up the PI torque converter? All you hear about on the DP is the ATS and Suncoast coverters. I know that precision industries is known for some great gas coverters (f-bodies and the like). Also, what did you pay for it?

I'm glad to hear you're happy with it!

-Josh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their main shop/plant is 5 minutes from me. In Oakland, TN.
I think if you post in the alllison upgrade forum you'll get many people's input on their converters. I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about them and if you take a tour of their shop and meet the owner you'll buy one.
and like you said, they make some serious drag converters for grand nationals and many other thousand horsepower beasts.
Blair~

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Josh61513;1559578; said:
Where did you pick up the PI torque converter? All you hear about on the DP is the ATS and Suncoast coverters. I know that precision industries is known for some great gas coverters (f-bodies and the like). Also, what did you pay for it?

I'm glad to hear you're happy with it!

-Josh
Mike L is a dealer

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Awesome! Reading this makes me want my tranny done now! ( gotta wait for Refund). I had a Precision Industies Converter in my old Turbo Z 71. What heavy duty work of art ! And it drove awesome!! I was wandering how thier diesel stall's are.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I love to hear about people doing mods to their trucks aand are VERY SATISFIED with them!!! I want a Performance trans but i dont want to buy just a peice at a time and i dont have the money for a full tranny right now so i am saving up a little at a time for a tranny and a fuel pump.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh yeah CONGRATS on the new tranny humslr!!! Im very happy for you and cant wait till i can afford a full tranny for my truck.

Again CONGRATS man!!!!

Talk at ya later

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan, would I really get 300+ horsepower without any fuel/turbo modifications? $1029.79 That's EFI + several tunes. Would it stack with the edge--not like you 'd need it or anything.
I know the edge is just a "beginner" toy, but I'm going to take it to the next level shortly and the Edge will either be a gauge cluster or go on the "for sale" page~that's why I'm keeping the box.

·
Registered
453 Posts
humslr;1564387; said:
Dan, would I really get 300+ horsepower without any fuel/turbo modifications? $1029.79 That's EFI + several tunes. Would it stack with the edge--not like you 'd need it or anything.
I know the edge is just a "beginner" toy, but I'm going to take it to the next level shortly and the Edge will either be a gauge cluster or go on the "for sale" page~that's why I'm keeping the box.
PPE makes a pretty stout tuner. It also doesn't marry itself to your truck, which is a great benefit.

The consensus seems to be that the Edge, even on 0, modifies some of the engine parameters, usually by adding timing.
More seriously, the Edge "fools" the ECM so that all you see when trying to log with EFILive is stock output, thus completely invalidating one of the most powerful features.

Gauges are kind of a hidden cost to EFILive, but you're still money ahead in terms of what it can do for the truck.

I reccommend selling the Edge and going just with EFILive.

ben

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm thinking of keeping the edge attidute, poss selling Juice,and running EFI. Then I'd have the nice looking (to me) guages and mount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like EFI is the way to go, I'll probably need the commercial version. I have several buddies that might like a tune. I think it will work on the 2006 H1s as well, they have the LLY as well. I'm thinking about opening a "out of warranty" Hummer service center as well as diesel performance shop in the near future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts