Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric:

Planning on draining OEM fluid from transfer case. I understand the non-Autotrack case uses Dexron III. How many quarts for refill?

Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Please excuse my stupidity, but what is Autotrack? Mine has 2-Hi, 4-Hi, and 4-Lo butons on the dash (no floor lever). I am assuming Autotrack is the 4-auto they have on the 1500 series, but wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
autotrak refers to the fluid used in the auto 4wd units no the 1500 trucks. it has special friction modifiers that work with the clutch pack in the transfer case

Eric

·
Registered
704 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
autotrak refers to the fluid used in the auto 4wd units no the 1500 trucks. it has special friction modifiers that work with the clutch pack in the transfer case

Eric

Does "auto 4wd" refer to the transfer case that has a button that says 4-auto, and goes between 2wd and 4wd automatically? Can I assume that I do not have this transfer case?

The only reason I mentioned the 1500 is because I did not think that any 2500HD or 3500 had 4-auto.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
only the 1500 trucks have the 'auto' feature available, its not heavy enough for our trucks..

How it works is:

when you select "auto 4wd" on the switch, the front axle locks in as it normally would in 4wd. The transfer case goes into a "ready state" in which it monitors wheel spin varience from front to rear. There is a large clutch pack in the t-case similer to an automatic trans. The encoder motor also acts as the apply to the clutch pack, when the clutch pack is engaged, it transfers power to the front diff. The clutch is normally released which would be like running in 2wd and when it senses slip it locks the clutch until slip is gone, the front axle is locked and ready for it so for the most part, you dont feel it. The big stuff in the HD trucks is more standard as far as engagement goes, encoder moves the shift fork which is hooked to a syncro that locks the planetaries..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts