Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
not really....of all the trucks we've modded out, we never had to beef up the transfer cases.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The only thing you could do to the t-case is the Merchant pump upgrade. Other than that, there is no need to beef anything up.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
dmaxlover;1593489; said:
The only thing you could do to the t-case is the Merchant pump upgrade. Other than that, there is no need to beef anything up.
Ditto

The Transfer Case Brace is actually to protect the transmission, not the t-case as the name sounds to imply:)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
it is the internal oil pump housing, that the OEM is a narrow design and it chaffs its way through the case housing. the new pump housing that M/A has designed has a much larger surface area, so it will not eat it's way out. You will not know you have the problem untill all of your transfer case oil dumps out, and most people do not notice it until the case starts making noise.
I bought my truck with the hole in the case, found it when I serviced the transfer case, glad it did not burn anything up inside, I got lucky.

So the pump upgrade makes sure you do not get a hole in the transfer case. It does not matter if you use the 4WD or not, and the milage varies as to how long it takes to happen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tolliwacker;1595202; said:
it is the internal oil pump housing, that the OEM is a narrow design and it chaffs its way through the case housing. the new pump housing that M/A has designed has a much larger surface area, so it will not eat it's way out. You will not know you have the problem untill all of your transfer case oil dumps out, and most people do not notice it until the case starts making noise.
I bought my truck with the hole in the case, found it when I serviced the transfer case, glad it did not burn anything up inside, I got lucky.

So the pump upgrade makes sure you do not get a hole in the transfer case. It does not matter if you use the 4WD or not, and the milage varies as to how long it takes to happen.
What would typical mileage be before failure?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
does this happen on the 06 and up t-cases with the 6spd alli

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Merchant Automotive makes the pump upgrade, I have purchased and installed the pump housing, and it was a piece of cake. There are no install instructions as of right now, but I have typed up a set, and Eric and I are working on fine tuning them as of now. As for milage, it shows it's ugly head sometime after about 70,000 miles, longer or shorter, it varies, and it does not matter if you use the 4WD or not. If your truck has the NP1 or NP2 transfer case, it is in catagory. I believe the 06 is in the catagory.

The cost I paid for the pump upgrade was $250.00, and I did the work myself, but I have heard that the pump housings are selling out pretty quick, so you would just have to call and see.

You will not know if you have the problem until all the fluid pumps out of the transfer case and coats the bottom of your truck and leaves a trail of fliuid to mark your path until the 2 quarts have evacuated the Transfer-case.

People are saying it should be a recall, but it makes it just outside of the warranty usually, and if you talk to most Chevy service managers, they will say they have not heard of it.

I was a lucky one that the Transfer case was not burned up, because I bought my truck with the hole, and diod not find out until I serviced the transfer case, and all the fluid painted the bottom of my truck. Glad I purchased the punp housing from M/A and did the repair, a few folks have JB welded the hole as I did, but it is temporary, there are 4 lugs on the pump housing, and they are all eating away at the case, so it is a matter of time before more holes start showing up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has anyone have pictures of this problem? My truck has 69k on it now and I will be purchasing the pump plate from Eric.

Bfastcars:grd:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Go back through the pump rub club thread in the drivetrain forum, it has pictures in there of the inside of the case, and outside as well.

GM Does not need to do anything, since it lasts well past the warranty, and if it does break before warranty expires like some have, they just put in a remanufactured unit.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Question, do all the xfer cases have this issue. I was told only the xfer cases which have the push buttons on the dash have this problem and the manual xfer cases with the shift lever on the floor do not..

Is this true?

Thanks
JJ

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Eric,

Any timeline on the pics?

·
Registered
162 Posts
What noises will it make when its going bad?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Would be interesting poll to see at what mileage people have joined the "pump rubbin' club" and what year is their dmax.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts