Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i purchased the $60.00 seal, and plan on replacing myself. I read somewhere that a flat tip screwdriver will remove the seal. What about the install of new seal, is there a special tool needed? :eek::

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
I used the good ol ballpeen hammer, just be REAL Careful and tap it lightly on the edge of the outer band of the seal, it will/should go right in, just install with the little hole down.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This may seem stupid, but while I'm changing seals on my diff, I'm working on the front xfer case seal too. How do you pull the driveshaft out of the front of it to get at the seal?? I pulled on it lightly, but there's a rubber boot holding the slip joint together and I'd rather not take that apart if there's an easier way to do it :(.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
You can cut the metal band and remove it just like the rear shaft, but I have heard that you can just remove the straps from the U-joint at the diff, and then remove the shaft without cutting the metal band clamp, just slide the boot off of the transfer case side. I don't know if it is doable, but I read it somewhere......

I cut the band clamp, and then I used a BIG Honkin Zip tie to use as the band clamp. I did this before I read about not having to cut the clamp, and I have not been back under the truck to see either

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I removed my front shaft without removing the clamp. Just worked it off and re-used it. Started it back on and used a scew driver to work it back on while being careful to avoid boot damage. No problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts