Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't hear much on the prevent maintance and up keep on the 4x4 transfer case. Do any of you recomend draining and replacing the fluid here early in the trucks life?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I changed mine right away to synthetic ( Mobil 1 ) to allow for easier shifting in colder conditions. It seems that I always need 4x4 right on start up to get out of drifts and stuff. I really think it helps.

PLUS, you would not beleive the oil that will come out.... It looks like Metalic Paint... I would recomend to change it after you get a chance to shift into 4x4 and use it a little. then change it every so often.......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Doesn't it call for DextronIII ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep..Dexron III. Nothing wrong with synthetic ATF, as long as its Dexron III rated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Change it with TranSynd, Eric has great prices on it. Changeing mine today at a little over 2k.

·
Registered
127 Posts
While we're on this topic, what tricks do you use to refill the transfer case? I looked like I was bleeding to death by the time I got done changing mine.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Autozone has a cap that you can put on the bottles of atf with a long hose..... I had to cut the hose, but it allowed me to tip the bottle and squeez it in... I would have to let some air in the bottle every squeez, but it made it very easy....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a small funnel that came with a short section of hose on the end of it. Although the hose is a little long for working under the truck it does give me the ability to have the funnel above, and at the correct angle to, the inlet hole.

Mine took almost 2 quarts, and I switched it over to synthetic at the 2nd oil change (3K).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts