Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wanted to check my trans case oil but did not because it looked like there is a coating on the plug. I assume it is to prevent corrosion between the case and plug. Do I need to re- coat the plug after removal and if I do what do I use? After reading PEANUTGRWR's recent post regarding no oil in trans case I definetely want to check it!!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
18mm head plug that is tapered, should need no coating on it, just snug it up, no diff that your rear plug or front one, though that one is not tapered. HTH.

Ron

·
Registered
514 Posts
The drain and fill plugs are aluminum so you shouldn't need to worry about galvanic corrosion with the case. Just make sure that you get the aluminum plugs if you do have to replace one. 20 N-m for both the drain and fill plugs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I will check it today before heading out. I don't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't filled when I picked it up.

Mike

·
Registered
444 Posts
I used Permatex teflon paste in the threads. Be very carful not to tighten too much. The case looks like it would be easy to strip the threads.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
326 Posts
Figuring GM put that stuff there for some reason I wanted to use something when I reinstalled the plugs. Since I didn't know what they had used I tried plain old teflon pipe (plumbing) tape. Seems to have worked thus far, and that was about 10K ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts