Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my transfer case oil with maby 20K on it. I do lot of towing and usally run above the speed limit. The oil was fairly dirty for such low mileage and due to the fact it only takes 2 qts I would suggest people change the transfer case oil fairly often due to the fact it is a cheap and easy job and this oil is not filtered or cooled. Just my .02 worth of input.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in mine, good pour point at low temperatures.

SteveEdited by: fishdmax

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
fishdmax said:
I put Mobil 1 ATF in mine, good pour point at low temperatures.

Steve

Me too ... Of course it was the same time I was filling the tranny during the upgrade .... It was handy ....

Mac

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was my second change on the transfer case and it takes 2 qts. of your favorite kind of Dex III . I have been using Royal Purple and it seems like good oil.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mobile is the brand, atf stands for automatic transmission fluid. It generally comes in Dextron for Chevrolet and Mercon for Ford. Dextron III is the current version.

·
Registered
514 Posts
dmax said:
Gentlemen .

Sorry for the dumb question, but is that mobil 1 atf synthetic?

Thanks!

To answer your question, yes Mobil 1 is synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry dmax I did not read your question close enough. Thanks Hound for answering the question correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Eric sold me the GM purple stuff and a replacement breather cap (needed when converting the front differential fluid to synthetic), 6 qts. for front/back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm considering switching mine over to Transynd at the same time I do the tranny flush. Any one else doing this or are you just sticking with the Moble 1 in the transfer case?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Fish2Max said:
Eric sold me the GM purple stuff and a replacement breather cap (needed when converting the front differential fluid to synthetic), 6 qts. for front/back.

Fish2Max,

1. This tread started as a question on transfer case, did you mean front differential?

2. If yes, what is the reason for replacing the breather cap when converting to synthetic?

Thanks!

2DAMAXEdited by: DMAX2DAMAX

·
Registered
326 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
2. If yes, what is the reason for replacing the breather cap when converting to synthetic?
Seems the factory breather doesn't take well to synthetics. The stock one is black, while the replacement is white. Hose length and diameter looks the same, so it must have something to do with the plastic compound. Although it's in a tight spot it's fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the same question as Notsdale.

Seeing as I bought a five-gallon pail of Transynd and the Allison with deep pan is only goping to use up 4 gallons, I'll have a gallon to spare.

Can I use the Transynd in the transfer case?

Rick

·
Registered
64 Posts
Transynd is ok the the Transfer Case as is any dexIII.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
JimWilson said:
DMAX2DAMAX said:
Seems the factory breather doesn't take well to synthetics. The stock one is black, while the replacement is white. Hose length and diameter looks the same, so it must have something to do with the plastic compound. Although it's in a tight spot it's fairly easy to do.

Is the white replacement a GM part? If yes does anyone have a part number?

Thanks!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
85 Posts
2DAMAX

Part #P/N 12479296. It is located with other useful part #s Hoot posted in the "Artilces and Useful Info" section of the site. Dmaxallitech probably also shows the part and pricing in his sig. under "best pricing".

Mike

On edit: Sorry Hoot's post is in the "Do it yourself and Useful articles" section. Next time I will look back before posting. So much for my memory!

Edited by: HisDMAX

·
Registered
398 Posts
My truck came from the factory with the white cap, take A look before you buy one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts