Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed transfer case fluid to Amsoil Syn ATF the first time at 26,000 miles and found quite a bit of fine metal grindings in the drain oil.
Quite concerned. Have any of you found the same thing? Did your transfer case fail at a later date? I winter in Texas and have not used 4 wheel drive vary much. Thanks for any information you can give.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I changed mine at 35,000 - no metal filings. I'm going to change again soon at 75,000. The Transfer case contains a chain and sprocket set. This could not only produce more metallic wear than a gear set, but could also tolerate a lot more contamination than a gear set. If it wasn't a lot of metal or not too big pieces, I wouldn't be too worried about it - very tough assembly.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I changed mine at 5,000 and the fluid, when mixed up, looked like metalic paint.... I was happy I changed it then... I am approaching 20K and plan to change it again....

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have changed the oil in a lot of transfer cases and the oil always looks like metalic paint after so many miles. I have never had one fail from this problem, but if you had large chunks of metal than you could have a more serious problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your replys. I think I will run it for 500 to 1000 miles and change again and see what shows up. Great site!

Dave

·
Registered
444 Posts
My transfer case oil also had the metal paint look when changed @ 4000 miles.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just changed the transfer case oil in my friends dodge today and it looked like black cherry metalic paint. It was the worst I have ever seen and should have been changed long ago. Like I posted a while back this is only a 2 quart job and should be done more often. I think you will always have some metalic material in the oil just due to the materials used in the cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts