Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if the transfer case brace can be installed when the tranny is up in place. Just want to make sure that the torsion bar set up can stay in place. Don't want to be removing them. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Gotta say "yes" if it's the Suncoast brace you are talking about. They say install takes less than 30 minutes according to their web site. Give 'em a call to be sure but I don't see anyone dropping a tranny and back in under 30 minutes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had a local trans. shop install mine. Transmission stayed in place - it took maybe 20 minutes for them to do it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I installed mine in the driveway. I cant say it only took me 20 mins though I am no mechanic so it took me 45 mins or so just couldnt get the ratchet in there.

dave

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, sounds pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I love the smilies GMC-2002-Dmax

That is the funniest one I have ever seen. Its great!

C-ya

As for the brace, I got it but I had it installed when they put my trans back in. It seems to be doing its job.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
is the brace worth the cash???

·
Registered
897 Posts
That is what I was wondering. What is this brace suspose to brace up?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
It braces the transfer case to the Allison - fits across the gap on the top to reduce flexing in the tailpiece.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well what's a rear tail housing worth these days from GM? (I'm not trying to sound like a smartash either) Lot-n-lots O' torque happening on that there drivetrain! It helps maintain strength between your tailshaft housing and transfer case. HTH

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
And Chebby has seen what happens when some crazy guy runns around with some HP without one. ;) ):h

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I can tell you mine would have been worth more than $4000 IF I had of had it when my rear housing cracked. Mine let go doing 80mph down the interstate. It fried my trans. so I went on ahead and upgraded to SCIII while I was at it. That is where the majority of the expense came from BUT I would NOT have been upgrading otehrwise.

Little note, I HAVE ONE NOW!!!

I recommend you get it, its worth the security and comfort to know its taken care of.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I'm just glade my cracked case didnt completely let go the last time at the track at 115 at the big end :eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
And Chebby has seen what happens when some crazy guy runns around with some HP without one. ;) ):h
You ain't kiddin... Just a "slight" hairline crack ):h

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Trans still working? ;) Either I have a good memory of allison innards, I am really lucky, or Mike L bailed my *** out again.......or a mix of all 3 :lol:

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Well what's a rear tail housing worth these days from GM? (I'm not trying to sound like a smartash either) Lot-n-lots O' torque happening on that there drivetrain! It helps maintain strength between your tailshaft housing and transfer case. HTH
That housing is over the price of the brace alone, not counting install of the housing and potential damage to the internals.

Its like an insurance policy, 200.00 for the coverage or 1500.00 later? Yup, gamble, but the insurance policy is cheap enough for me.:D

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts