Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as noted in a previous thread, I had the pump clip break and wear through the rear case half. The dealer wanted $1700 estimated to repair it so I decided to go at it myself (and a friend). After disassembly and inspection it appears that the only damage is to the clip and the case so I ordered new pieces. I recieved the parts yesterday and the new case already comes with a new clip installed. I noticed that the clip sits away from the case approximately 1/8". Would it make any sense to fill this gap with silicone or something similar? Is there a new style clip? Should I just install it like it is and plan on replacing the clip in about 75,000 miles?
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
INstall what you have. There is nothing better......yet

My test units are in a few trucks right now, after they get about 30k on them, I'll tear em down and if all is good, I'll release them. These guys put 100k+ per year on so it should not be long.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Too bad there wasn't a way to know the clip is broker before it starts leaking on your floor. :(

How much is a new case half?

·
Registered
511 Posts
How much is a new case half?
Anyone know this? I just noticed I have spots of ATF on my tailgate, & sure enough, I've got a small hole worn in my TC.

·
Registered
700 Posts
While I wait to hear back from GM Customer Service about the same issue, I spent $4 on a package of JB Weld and patched the hole after first cleaning it with brake parts cleaner and roughing up the surface with a cone sander that I mounted on my drill.

I put new fluid in it and it seems to be holding up okay after several hundred miles.

-Wardster

·
Registered
294 Posts
From the pic's the hole is on the upper right side, above the fill plug. I would think JB weld would work ok, but I'd be worried about the broken clip and the magnesium particals that would still be created as the clip continued to work on the case.

If it is leaking, how long before it looses enough oil to be a problem, It's not like it's running out in that location. Or am I missing some thing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wardster

I just bought some JB Weld 30 minutes ago. I going to try & patch it until I can fix it properly. I PMed a guy on another forum last night about his TC fix with JB Weld. He said it lasted a few months, but it's starting to leak again. GMCSID said in another thread that even a small amount of ATF left in the TC will keep it from frying itself.

This really is ridiculous how common this problem is.:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
INstall what you have. There is nothing better......yet

My test units are in a few trucks right now, after they get about 30k on them, I'll tear em down and if all is good, I'll release them. These guys put 100k+ per year on so it should not be long.
Don't hold out on us too long, Eric. I suspect that whatever you have come up with is light years better than what NVG put in that 261/263 case! I assisted 400MXCrazy (he assisted me? ):h ) with the removal, tear down and reinstall of his broken unit, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they are asking too much from that little clip.

(On a side note, using JB Weld to patch the hole should only be a last ditch solution while you are waiting for parts....the pump will continue to rub on that magnesium case, and if enough slop develops, I suspect that the pickup tube could become dislodged and then it doesn't really matter if the TCase is full of fluid or not...it won't be where it's needed!)

Since my truck has 60,000 on it, I ordered a new clip and gasket with the thought of proactively installing them before the broken clip takes out my case. However I would rather hold off and install the "Merchant Automotive Special!"

Thanks!

Eric

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Units are being tested now. I would like the old cases if you replace them. I'll pay freight.

I don't have one of the beta-test ones, do I Eric???

·
Registered
700 Posts
I let the JB Weld cure for 24 hours with a lamp shining brightly on the repair. I know its nothing permanent, but its what I have to while I wait for GM to decide whether or not to aid in the cost of the repair.

Wardster

I just bought some JB Weld 30 minutes ago. I going to try & patch it until I can fix it properly. I PMed a guy on another forum last night about his TC fix with JB Weld. He said it lasted a few months, but it's starting to leak again. GMCSID said in another thread that even a small amount of ATF left in the TC will keep it from frying itself.

This really is ridiculous how common this problem is.:mad:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do we have pictures or a diagram of what exactly the problem is here?

What causes it?

And what your working on Eric to address this problem.

Is it strictly a mileage wear issue?

Is it a torque issue?

Is it caused by using 4x4?

I guess this isn't "new" as many of you know about this.....but I guess I missed it, as I've never heard of this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Can anyone answer how much a new case is worth?

I want to know if it is worth pulling mine apart to put a new clip in it.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
IIRC Tony the case halfs are 1200cdn........prolly worth it to have a look.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
WOW! Mine was just cracked open but I think i will put a new clip in it once Eric is sure his will hold up.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Gadzooks!!! How much is an entire new Transfer case?

This was a quote from a local dealer..... I do know that Eric sells a completely reworked Tcase for wayyyyy less than that:cool:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Do you know the part # off hand?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts