Diesel Place banner

Trans. temp. rises during high idle??!!

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ibfarmerduramax 
#1 ·
It was rather cold out Wed., around 25F outside which was cold enough for my high idle to kick on. I was on the phone letting my truck warm up and just happened to notice the trans. temp. was up around 130-150 after about 7-10 minutes. What gives? I've also noticed that the temp. reading on my outlook monitor and stock trans. temp. gauge don't always correspond with each other...Any advice would be great guys.

#2 ·
I don't know anything about the trany temp, but the truck temp will read somewhere around 170 and my juice will read 120 give or take.

#3 ·
I noticed the same thing - if I get off and drive the tranny does not warm up very much at all in the cold temps, but if it goes into high idle it will warm up really fast.

#4 ·
The allison 6 speed has a feature called heater performance mode when paired with the duramax. This feature ,in cunjuction with the turbo, creates a load in order to heat the duramax up quicker. This should explain the increased in trans. temp. As far as the difference between the outlook and the factory guage could be the difference in mounting locations of the sensor. hope this helps
jerry

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I hope you are correct in your statements. Eric or Mike L. you guys have anything to support these claims? Thanks in advance. And I might be making a trip up to Holland pretty soon, depends if Wal-Mart ever decides to pay up what they owe the business.

#7 ·
Starting in 2006 when in high idle, the Allison will periodically apply the C3 and C4 clutches when cold to lock up the turbine shaft into the torque converter. This effectively stalls it causing a load on the engine and the fluid in the converter to heat up. Both good things on a chilly morning.

#8 ·
I hate to slide in and hi-jack your thread duramaxxedlbz, but Machinator your post has me thinking that what you said could be the answer to my thread from a few days ago....
If im reading it right the TC is sometimes locked up and that when i get my little power "boost" perhaps the TC unlocking?
Here's my thread that im referring to..
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131429

#9 ·
Not sure about your 06/07's, but with the earlier Duramax's, the trans fluid flows through the radiator tank, then through transmission cooler, then back to the transmission.
As your truck is warming up, as coolant temp rises, it's also warming the tranny fluid.
Found this out at link below:
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87399&highlight=radiator

#10 ·
Ok guys, I've just had a similar problem, I put the heater perf. on for the hell of it, and the truck drove like it was in tow/haul mode, like it had a load on it, then I took it off, but it still kind of feels like it's in tow/haul mode. Anyone have this kind of problem??

#12 ·
DuramaxxedLBZ;1557368; said:
Thanks for the info guys, I hope you are correct in your statements. Eric or Mike L. you guys have anything to support these claims? Thanks in advance. And I might be making a trip up to Holland pretty soon, depends if Wal-Mart ever decides to pay up what they owe the business.
Here is a link for the allison trany that explains how they help to heat up. I believe it is the last page. Called "Heater performance mode" I believe. Hope this helps.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=SA4115EN.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.