Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took delivery of 5 gallons of Trans-Synd from Johnson and Towers Allison of Mt. Laurel today. Was kind of suprised to find that it is made by Castrol. Not disappointed, just didn't expect them to be the supplier. I guess someone has to make it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Interesting ... Jim

·
Registered
994 Posts
Actually, Castrol is a very capable company when it comes to engineering lubricants. The marketing side of the company left some of the public with a bad impression of the name Castrol when they produced a Group III engine oil for automobiles and called it a "Synthetic" motor oil. Prior to this event, all synthetic oils used Group IV and Group V basestocks. The whole definition of the make-up of synthetic oil ended up in court, Castol on one side and some other oil companies on the other side. I think that whole incident still haunts the company today. I am not sure if the corporate make up of Castrol is the same today as it was 10 years ago. I seem to remember that some of the company was spun off.

With regard to Transynd, I believe Castrol had an existing product that closely matched the specifications that Allison developed for Transynd. Castrol probably tweaked it slightly in order to have Allison award the contract to them. For some technical parameters associated with Transynd, follow this link:

http://www.castrolhdl.com/Common/PDS/TranSynd-PDS.pdfEdited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uniquely, the Allison (Castrol) Trans-synd fluid is an exclusive product to Allison and only available from Allison dealers and service agencies and not the traditional Castrol Distribution network. This is different from other readily available Castrol transmission fluids and was specifically formulated to meet Allison's TES-295 specification and test.

However BP Lubricants (which now owns Castrol) offers Autrans Syn 295, essentially the same product that does pass the TES-295 Spec and test. No other Oil Company has been able to pass the obstacle of the the TES-295 spec and test (either due to expense or access to the test rig). If you can find a BP lubricants distributor, it is available in cases (6 gallons/case), 5 gal. pails and drums(!)

An excellent product as alternative is Chevron's Chevron Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Heavy Duty. If this link works: https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsS...isLoginPage=true&Token=PDSHOME&searchScreen=Y
enter the following product code to search for the product data sheet - 226718
This product has not been through the test rig and therefore is not approved for the TES-295 spec and if your warrantee requires a TES-295 approved fluid be considerate of this fact. Nevertheless it has been formulated specifically by Chevron for this use and is an outstanding product and will likely be more broadly available. We stock both the BP and Chevron products.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What is the price on the BP Autrans and chevron's new synthetic ATF "heavy duty"??? Are they all in the same ballpark price-wise (as transynd)??

thanks,

jeff

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
THe Amsoil Torque Drive ATF which was reverse enfgineered and is the very same as Transynd. It runs $107.20 for 5 gallon. Transynd is good stuff no doubt about that but just a little high in cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
here is a list of all the trans fluids that meet the TES-295 spec ...
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4>
<T>
<TR align=middle bgColor=#003399>
<TD>TES 295 Approval Number </TH>
<TD>Approved Marketer</TH>
<TD>Product Brandname</TH> </TD>
<TR align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>
<TD>AN-011001</TD>
<TD>Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants</TD>
<TD>TranSynd</TD></TR>
<TR align=middle bgColor=#dddddd>
<TD>AN-031002</TD>
<TD>BP</TD>
<TD>Autran Syn 295</TD></TR>
<TR align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>
<TD>AN-031003</TD>
<TD>Cognis Corporation</TD>
<TD>Emgrad 2805</TD></TR>
<TR align=middle bgColor=#dddddd>
<TD>AN-031004</TD>
<TD>International Truck & Engine Company</TD>
<TD>Fleetrite Synthetic ATF</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those of you in the Pacific Northwest, I just had my transmission flushed, filter changed and filled with Transynd at Pacific Torque in Seattle. They treated me as a customer, fitted me into their schedule so I could wait
and the cost was reasonable @ $250.00 complete.
Great job!

Bob

·
Registered
139 Posts
You may know this ...but anyway.....the allison transmission that GM has put in your truck was design to use Dextron III trans fluid...there is no special fluid required. If you want to spend the extra money okay, but it's not needed.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
rtquig,

That's where I bought mine!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
GMworldclassmaster said:
You may know this ...but anyway.....the allison transmission that GM has put in your truck was design to use Dextron III trans fluid...there is no special fluid required. If you want to spend the extra money okay, but it's not needed.

These are not your average truck owners around here Scott

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
I believe that TranSynd is nothing more than the Castrol synthetic transmission fluid they sold in the past and still sell. I have used their synthetic trans fluid because of customer demand and have converted every one of those customers to Mobil 1 trans fluid. Mobil 1 just blew them away as far as longevity, heat disapation, lubrication, and it didn't look yellow after 20K miles. I have no proof of this, only a suspission. I don't trust Castrol, i think they make some great dino blends, i think they lie like a rug. I think they are way behind synthetic development. I just sent them an email asking if the 15-40 4X4 Syntec Blend HD truck oil was ok for my Duramax and recieved a stupid exact copy of the label on the back of the bottle.
It didn't tell me sh.t. Mobil on the other hand gave me an in depth answer to my question about their oil.

mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
We sell the BP Autran 295 in pails for about $22.00/gallon in 5 gallon pails ($110) and it meets the TES-295 spec. We sell the Chevron Synthetic HD ATF for $18.86/gallon ($94.30/pail).

These products are suitable for backwards compatible use in Mercon/Dexron III spec'd transmissions just as many others mentioned in other posts, Amsoil, etc.

Allison parts houses can charge a premium over what you can buy the alternative TES-295 fluid from a BP distributor. I have a feeling that all the "approved" products are identical and probably identically sourced from Cognis.(Castrol/BP is not likely the actual manufacturer). I also have reason to believe it is not the same product as any previously available Castrol transmission fluid nor built on such a product.
If you are concerned about mainting a TES-295 spec warrantee use a product on the TES-295 approved list. Otherwise you can use a Synthetic Mercon/Dexron III from a company you feel comfortable with at a savings over Transynd.

The only thing special about Transynd is that it is the result of Allison's desire for a product that would drive sales through their own distribution channel and the TES approval process was constructed to limit competitve products. Transynd's availablity is restricted to Allison channel distribution and not available from any Castrol distributor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wasn't trying to start a discussion on the pro's and con's of Transynd, just suggesting a company that deserves to be looked at should someone in the Seattle area want to have their transmission serviced with Transynd. I was impressed by the way I was treated and the work performed in a facility that services mostly big rigs.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mike L. said:
I believe that TranSynd is nothing more than the Castrol synthetic transmission fluid they sold in the past and still sell. I have used their synthetic trans fluid because of customer demand and have converted every one of those customers to Mobil 1 trans fluid. Mobil 1 just blew them away as far as longevity, heat disapation, lubrication, and it didn't look yellow after 20K miles.

mike
Mike, Is it okay to make the transition from the Dexron III to the Mobil 1 by using the drain-but-not-flush method when changing as I have seen expounded elsewhere?
Are the fluids compatable?

We are towing quite a bit in the Sierras and PNW and would like to work on trying to reduce the temps when pulling long 6% grades on 90+ degree days? Sounds like the Mobil 1 may help keep things cooler.

Bill

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Mobil 1 is compatable with regular Dexron fluid. On certain vehichles we even use Mobil 1 engine oil mixed with Dexron 111/Mercon blend.

mike

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Ron

I have never tried that mix. I cannot say to do that. In my experience i know that Dexron and Mobil 1 are fine mixed, but adding another mix to that might be questionable. I would not do it.

mike

1 - 20 of 49 Posts