Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to hook a 4L85E up to a Duramax? I was told that the first 2500 trucks were offered with the 4L85E.

Anyhow, I was just wondering how a built trans would perform at the track or at pikes peak?

Burner----------->

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I dunno about the 4L85E holding up to the output of the Dmax. I imagine there would be quite a lot of slipping going on inside the tranny. Just my two coppers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Duramax van that is coming out (next year as a 2006 if I recall correctly) might be the first Duramax to not use the Allison.

If it doesn't use the Allison, you can be sure that it will be detuned in a major way (100 hp less perhaps).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
saw this arguement and prove of as well on the war zone,supoosedly first 2500 dmaxes made didnt come with the ally.true? i dunno.....jess

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Actually I think some of the first test mules had them (4L80E) and the Duramax Race truck (shown below) had one...

That truck did run Pikes Peak with Evan Evans at the "controls".

I'm in there somewhere along with dmax-man and a few others that might want to reveal themselves. This photo was taken by a local Ohio newspaper and printed the next day. (Circa Sept 2001)

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Were they ever released for sale with the Hydramatic? I was always under the understanding that the Ally was the only one offered for sale?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hoot,

I was just wondering if the 4L80E or 4L85E (bigger planetary gears..I think) would allow the Duramax better times at the track or a pulling event. I am not an engineer, just under "shade tree" wrench, but I would think that the lower static drag as well as the slightly higher gearing would make for really quick ET's as well hitting that "middle" gear at the truck pull? I haven't asked Joe but I'm willing to bet that he has built more than one 4L80/4L85E that sits behind 1,000HP/ 1,000TQ motor.

Burner-------->

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
If you could find someone to program the 4L80 or 85 E, you would probably run faster times. Transgo has a vacum modulator kit for these transmissions that control line pressure instead of the computer. I think it would take a lot of money to do it(maybe first one anyways).

mike

·
Registered
845 Posts
The Duramax trucks that ran the Pikes Peak challange did Run 4L80E trannys, This I am positive as I remember reading it in Four Wheeler, or another truck based magazine.

The only reason I figured they ran the 4L80E, was the truck was putting out some serious snot, And products were not available at the time to beef up the Ally, At the time their was ample products available to beef up a 4L80E

Thats my guess.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Weird, Is it a TH400, What kinda tranny does it look like, When I read this, I didnt even own my Dmax yet, so were talking 2+ years back. Maybe they changed since, Or maybe I misread info

Bill

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Debuting in its first-ever racing competition, the Sierra's all-new Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 is the same engine that will be available this fall as an optional engine in the all-new 2001 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500HD/3500 Series pickups and chassis-cab models. It is positioned to help GM set new industry standards for diesel power, performance, durability, reliability and quiet operation in the growing heavy-duty pickup class. The 6.6-liter turbocharged diesel has outstanding power and performance with ratings of 300 horsepower and 520 lb.-ft. of torque. It is mated to a production Hydra-Matic 4L80-E four-speed automatic transmission.

Fastest Diesel Ever: Evan Evans, Duramax Diesel racer and spokesperson for GM Mobility Program, topped the Peak in his hand-controlled, production Duramax Diesel 6600 V8 GMC Sierra, at 13:34.63. Evans' time was a new record for diesels, beating all previous diesel cars and trucks at the Peak. This was this production-Diesel's first-ever race. Evans' time was the fastest truck in his class, finishing fourth overall in High Performance Showroom Stock.

Mac

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
the pikes peak truck looks like a 1/2 ton. Where is the PP Duramax truck now?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
In MikeL's scrap pile in the back yard ,tranny is in the shop ,motor in the Transgo truck that made 530 RWHP ...

In mouthballs till this weekend ..... Ring ring ringer ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The ChevyHDMan, "Weird" is how you started out and I thought that might be in respect to my post.

So, the catcher is a clutch pack, 11 VS. 7 in the 700.

The batter is the waveplate, 0 VS. 4 in the 700.

I figured that a 700 would be an extreamly light trans and should be able to hold the TQ and HP for a limmited time. The 11/0 combo would work in a "light traction" environment, only. A 700 could have been used to propel the 6600 to the top in record time....but it was only a guess.

I was trying to draw MikeL out ....just a little.

Burner--------->

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have heard of and seen the Dodge truck twist and rip, yes rip, the frame. I have seen some goofy stuff to inforce the frame of a PS Ford and heard of the rear mounts wicking out....but nothing about the DMax? Has anyone seen or even heard of the GM frame, engine mts or trans mts going bad? What is the structural limmit of this thing we call a 3/4 ton pick-up? How much torsion force can it really handle?

Burner---->

1 - 20 of 20 Posts