Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 GMC Suburban with 6.2 and having some issues with the trans or something . I live in Alaska and it’s getting cold. The transmission slips or you could say it would be hesitating just before it shifts into 2nd and 3rd.
It’s worse if I try and drive it before it comes up to temperature.
One last thing……..Its almost like the engine hesitates before it shifts as well?
I think it’s a 4l80e? trans.

Has anyone had any luck with a trans flush?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Your model transmission should be a 4L60 (700R4). Your TV cable could be sticking or out of adjustment or some of the other valves in your valve body could be sticking. Another possibility is a problem in your 2-4 servo assembly.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It may also be that your clutches are getting worn bad enough that they slip when the tranny temp is not warmed up and the pressure is lower. I had a similar problem with my 4L80E loosing OD, you could try the flush with a conditioner (Lucas, Seafoam), it helped me get an extra six months out of my tranny before I had to have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Help

So? Should I go get the $100.00 flush at the local lube shop before I do anything mechanical to the trans. I'm working on a strict budget so any cheap suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help

So? Should I go get the $100.00 flush at the local lube shop before I do anything mechanical to the trans. I'm working on a strict budget so any cheap suggestions would be great!
I'm sure its a TH400 because it has 13 bolts on the pan and was told that the 700r4 has 16 bolts and has overdrive. m trans is only a 3 sp.

Thanks all......

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trans Slip

Hey, my 700R4 on my Jimmy was doing the same thing and i figured the seal on the trans filter could be goin bad and sucking air. i changed it and ran fine for two days and now it's back to its old ways. trans fluid was dirty but no clutch material or metal shavings, so i have no idea where to go from here. the truck will drive fine when started but after it comes to a complete stop it struggles to gain grip in the tranny and shifts like s*#$ while driving. any suggestions of where else i could look or start??:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.