Diesel Place banner

trans question

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Tommygunner 
#1 ·
I currently 95' Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel, with a 4L60E.
I have access to a 4L80E.
I may have to swap it out for a 4L80E.
Will it match up?
Bolt Patten?
What about the PCM, ECU, ECM compatibility for OBD1?
PCM, ECU, ECM compatibility for OBD1 Used search

A Certified YouTube Transmission Expert (friend) took a look at it and he argues that I need a special “Pop-Up, “thingy”” for the torque converter.
Wait...What? I have no idea.
I took it apart and it appears that the clutch is burnt out, and well, where did this special popup thing disappear to?
I just can’t get my mind around to what he is saying.
He wants me to ship out my torque converter to “some guy that rebuilds torque converter up in IL.

I told him that the truck shifted fine previously, with the exception that until recently, now the transmission gears slips, I can only drive in “D” up to 20 mph, then it slips. I shift it into 3rd…same thing slips, shift into 2nd, same thing slips, shift it into 1st, and it runs, although loud and I’m sure hard on the transmission and engine. I don’t go over 50 mph. Of course, I’m leaking fluids, and burning smells.

This entire fiasco started with the replacement of a starter, and then a new flex-plate. Then I discovered that according to the VIN, my truck is a 5-speed manual, of which it is not.

Heck, I don't even know what the heck I'm driving anymore - its all driving me crazier the deeper I get in this rabbit hole. I'm getting to old for all of this.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated,
Respectfully submitted,
Craig

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design
Fluid Water Wood Composite material Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Disc brake Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Vehicle Specifications 1995 . Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel

VIN 1GCFK24P6SE200426

year1995makeChevrolet
modelC/K 2500trimHD 8-ft. Bed
styletypePickup Truck
sizeLargecategoryStandard Pickup Truck
made_inUnited Statesmade_in_cityPONTIAC
doors2-Doorfuel_typeDiesel
fuel_capacity34.00 gallonscity_mileage12 miles/gallon
highway_mileage15 - 16 miles/gallonengine6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel
engine_size6.5engine_cylinders8
transmission5-Speed Manualtransmission_typeManual
transmission_speeds5-SpeeddrivetrainFour-Wheel Drive
anti_brake_system2-Wheel ABSsteering_typeRecirculating
curb_weight4744 poundsgross_vehicle_weight_rating
overall_height75.80 inchesoverall_length212.60 inches
overall_width76.80 incheswheelbase_length131.50 inches

SWAP 4L60E to 4L80E. 1995 . PCM, ECU, ECM compatibility for Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel - Swap

See less See more
#2 ·
4L80 will bolt right up. Be sure to use the diesel TC.
Is the RPO tag still in the glove box? Upload a photo.
I'm not sure about the x-fer case and drive shaft interchange.
You sure have a slumgullion truck there.

Reactions: dieselolds
#3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I never heard of "slumgullion" and had to look it up.

Accordingly, the slang dictionary defined slumgullion as “any cheap, nasty, washy beverage”.
Another, roughly contemporary, memory is this: The meals are all alike — a potato, a slice of something like bacon, some gray stuff called bread, and a cup of muddy, semi-liquid coffee like that which miners often call “slickers” or “slumgullion.

That said, the trucks RPO is long gone. I suspect used for a previous slumgu batch.

#6 ·
Slumgullion was a stew miners made with whatever they had on hand.
Also a high mountain pass near Lake City Colorado.
A wonderful place.

#7 ·
So.. A couple of important questions Do you have a 6.5 turbo or an NA 6.5 in the truck?
Is it electronically or manually injected?
Your posts are kind of confusing because no one can really know what you have or make recomendations. You state the vin says it is a manual 6.5 TD. But from your pics above you have a 4l60E. How someone got that to work in a manual trans, truck is anyone's guess. GM did not ever put a 4l60 E behind a TURBO 6.5 . They cant handle the torque.
Its pretty hard to help over the internet when no one can really know what you have. Its like guessing what is in a stew without even tasting it.
As for your question about a 4l80E working? As said yes it will bolt up But without knowing what kind of PCM is in the truck. I cant really say if the PCM will control it. If you get lucky all you will have to do is swap the PROM chip with one that will run a 4l80e. Then there is the different wiring harness between the 4l80 and 4l60. You will most likely need a 4l80 harness. There is about a 3" difference in length between the 2 transmissions. So you will most likely need a shorter drive shaft with the 4l80e. Also need the diesel TC.

#8 ·
Input shaft on the transfer case is different also the trans to TC adapter. Driveshafts are the same. Electrical is where it gets tricky. The main connector may be the same but the wiring is not.

#9 ·
Very rare truck! Didn’t know they made the likes! When I pull up your vin , it shows a K2500 light duty (6 bolt wheels) with a 4l60e. Also see its a vin P naturally aspirated.... interesting indeed.

#10 ·
Font Rectangle Screenshot Electronic device Technology
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document
Font Screenshot Technology Number Rectangle

Reactions: Glagulator
#11 ·

#12 ·

Reactions: bobbywalter
#13 · (Edited)
Wow. The above VIN posts explain a lot. That is the reason I was asking in post 7 about what type of 6.5 engine he had.
I was simply trying to get to the bottom of what exactly he was working with.
I guess I should have caught the P in the vin# shown in post 1. But I missed that and just read the list below it assuming it was correct.
So the 4l60E is the stock trans for his truck. Also the 6 bolt axles. I blew up the pic he posted of his truck, to confirm.
A very rare truck indeed. maybe one of a kind.
I ran my vin a long time ago. Came back My truck was only one of 3 made like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.