Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the truck new last summer took it back within two weeks for XMSN temp going to around 240. they said it is normal this happend just driving on flat grond with truck empty/unloaded. I bought an edge modulue drove with it for about two months, then removed it due to hard shifting. Now at times it feels like it is slipping especially going up hill or when accelerating hard. Once the transmission locked up in I think third gear, and the engine light came on it wouldnt shift manually or automatically. I had to turn it off then restart it to make it work. When I take it into the dealership to get it checked, they say its a truck transmission and should clunk and shift hard. I've rebuilt many a transmission and know when a transmission is slipping. The problem is I am not a pro at rebuiding thansmissions because I dont do it all the time. My question is can I do anything to prove that the transmission has a problem short of dissassembeling it my self and taking bad parts in to GMC.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Find another dealer. Your trans isn't right as you know. When it locked up in 3rd gear there should have been codes. Your dealer doesn't know jack about this trans based on what you experienced.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Take a new truck out for a test drive w/the service manager and show him the difference.Then DEMAND that they fix your truck.If that doesnt work,call GM.If that doesnt work,threaten w/lawyer and lawsuit.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The fact that your truck is running hot, setting codes, and defaulting should be enough for the dealer to realize there's a problem. Unfortunately, there are many dealers that would rather give you the run around to a problem they don't understand then to try and solve it.

I'd take lakingslayer's advice and go to another dealership if you can. Also, see if you can get a list of codes that your truck set from your dealer. We may be able to help you figure out what may be going wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I wish I could buy a vehicle without a warrantee. They seem to be more hassle than they are worth. Case in point, I had two Fords prior to buying GM. The 2003 ford had so many problems that ford bought it back and put me in a 2004. Thee 2004 didnt have as many problems, but when it did it was next to impossible to get it fixed they always wanted to reason away the problem instead of diagnose it and fix it. As soon as I traded the ford in GMC took it (The ford) across the road to the Ford dealer that I had been using. Since GMC was paying cash and not using the warrantee Ford found and fixed the exact problems that that they tried to logic and reason away under warrantee.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Another option is to take your truck to a Williams Detroit Diesel-Allison distributor. Those guys tend to be knowledgable about the Allison and have the experience and capability to do a teardown/rebuild. However, it will cost you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts