Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about limping a transmision in here, and I am glad I did. I was pulling a bobcat and coasting down a steep grade, when i neared the bottom of the hill i accelerated up the other side and the truck cut power and basically let me idle home. my truck is totally stock with 265 tires and 185,000 miles, 4x4. What if any aftermarket parts will increase the life of the allision so this doesn't keep happening
Thanks for your help, you guys seem to be able to answer anything from the posts I've read

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Can you explain to us what happened? Did a check engine light come on? Did you get a code?

Where are you located? Do you plan to keep the truck?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Need more specifics. What was max rpm, how many gears were available to you when this happened. Check engine light?
mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The check engine light had been on, I took it to my local mechanic and he cleared it, it said lost" comm with transmission." Yes I plan to keep the truck, I live in missouri. I dont really recall the rpm it would only go to 1800 or so after that happend.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You probably set a U code (communications) on the engine side. Codes on the trans side need to be checked seperately. If such is the case, you defaulted to third range. My first thought is a bad ground, check all the ground straps to the engine and make sure they're tight. There was one in particular (unfortuantely I can't remember which one) that would come loose and cause problems like this.

Other possible problems: TCM loosing power or bad connections with the class II or J1939 wires (I'm assuming this is a pre-MY06) between the ECM and TCM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts