Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L with 5spd Allison. Problem I'm having is when placed into drive, there is some slight grinding noises and then a louder grind/pop like it goes into gear but it doesn't actually. When that pop happens, I get the flashing D on the steering column. Same happens in 3,2 and 1. Before the pop happens, there is no forward motion at all. Reverse works ok. This happens in 2wd and 4wd high. In 4wd low, it will work in all gear selections. Watching the rear drive shaft when put into drive, when it gets to the popping part, the driveshaft does move a little back and forth. I have changed filters and fluid in both the t case and trans and verified correct levels. When I got the truck a few weeks ago, the t case was strapped up and not installed and another t case in the bed of the truck. There was an ignition switch box in the truck as well and steering column plastics were off which leads me to believe that it was replaced. I've looked into a bunch of different threads and found a few people with similar issues being told it is likely a t case issue. Apparently the previous owner thought so as well since there was a spare. Just thought I'd check here before I possibly waste my time putting in the spare t case. I was able to drive it a day or so after getting the t case reinstalled and was having issues with it "popping into neural" and making a grinding sound. Could move again by going to neutral and back to drive or sometimes going to 4wd low and then back to 2wd. Just kinda random on how I was able to get it going again. One time it went into limp mode with p0734 code tripped but haven't gotten any other codes including that one again after clearing. I greatly appreciate any help on the matters!

· Administrator
22,222 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would pull the transfer case and inspect the internals and install a pump rub kit if it doesn't already have the fix

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.