Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a shop install my SCIV yesterday. They did not reset TAP codes and neither have I. I am still waiting for my laptop computer and EFI to arrive in the mail. However, it doesn't seem like resetting codes would fix. It will hardly ever go into gear, and its stuck in second. I can't get it to upshift or down shift reguardless of RPM or using "M". Very very often, when I come to a stop, it drops out of gear and doesn't go anywhere, just reves up. I have to turn off the truck and restart about 6-10 times to get it to go into gear, which is always second anywhy. What gives? Any suggestions? Will resetting TAPs work?
:mad:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked it up after hours. I just got EFI in the mail today. Still waiting on laptop. I see I can read and clear trouble codes with it without a laptop, I think. I've had it for about 2 minutes. If so, is clearing trouble codes same as resetting TAPs?

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
serpa4;1597720; said:
I picked it up after hours. I just got EFI in the mail today. Still waiting on laptop. I see I can read and clear trouble codes with it without a laptop, I think. I've had it for about 2 minutes. If so, is clearing trouble codes same as resetting TAPs?
No. OBD-II codes will not inhibit any operation of the truck, they'll just tell you whats wrong.

TAPs are a completely different story; I'm not an expery by any means, but I'm 99% sure that an issue as severe as yours would not be solved or fixed by resetting TAPs. Generally, you can fix hard, rough, long, or abnormal shifting by resetting TAPs, not an issue as severe as not going into gear.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleared and read codes that reappeared:
ECM: P0700 MP-H1-C
TCM: P0848 MP-H1-C
TCM: P0877 MP-H1

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you looked for leaks? And checked the fluid? Just something to try, I would take it back to the shop.

·
Gone but not forgotten member!
14,325 Posts
Those are Pressure Switch Manifold codes. You might have sticking valves or the Alli was put in gear when the fluid was too low and set the codes and they weren't cleared. Clear the codes and see where you're at.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reset the codes and cleared the check engine light. Then started the truck and drove about 15 feet and those are the 3 new/only codes it set. I just checked tracking on my new Dell computer. It won't be here till Tuesday. Then I can reset TAPs. P.S. I still don't know what TAPs are or how to reset using EFI.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
serpa4;1598005; said:
I reset the codes and cleared the check engine light. Then started the truck and drove about 15 feet and those are the 3 new/only codes it set. I just checked tracking on my new Dell computer. It won't be here till Tuesday. Then I can reset TAPs. P.S. I still don't know what TAPs are or how to reset using EFI.
Resetting the taps isnt going to help you. :(

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Dumb question I know, but have you checked the fluid level. Another thing to check is the 20 pin connecter on the lower back right hand side of trans. Try to pull it out, happened to me before.

As stated, you have bigger problems than taps.

·
14,325 Posts
IdahoRob;1598180; said:
Dumb question I know, but have you checked the fluid level. Another thing to check is the 20 pin connecter on the lower back right hand side of trans. Try to pull it out, happened to me before.

As stated, you have bigger problems than taps.
Rob
There would have been open codes on every solenoid in the Alli if the connecter was not attached properly.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to see the dealer to reset? I'll check the above Ideas and connector when I get off work today.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
It sounds like they may have had some trouble up in the pump section. I tried to explain it, but he didn't seem to understand so I referred him to George at Suncoast. I told George what we wanted to do and he provided the parts.

Mike,

He should have a couple of tricks done up front like we discussed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What should I have them check or which way should I point them? Any damage possible from them doing it incorrectly? Should I bother with resetting TAPs at this point or its beyond that as suggested by fellow forum members. I will check fluids and pins shortly.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Don't bother with setting TAPS it sounds like something is wrong. The hard (nearly impossible) thing to do is guess what is wrong without digging into it. Could be in the trim valves, could be in the pump etc. At this point I'd take it back and see what the installer says. See if he even test drove it.

The reason I mention the pump area is that is where he was having trouble. He said the rest went well until he got to this point. This install goes much easier if you have the little "book" from Transgo? that Suncoast sells.

·
14,325 Posts
Kennedy;1599320; said:
Don't bother with setting TAPS it sounds like something is wrong. The hard (nearly impossible) thing to do is guess what is wrong without digging into it. Could be in the trim valves, could be in the pump etc. At this point I'd take it back and see what the installer says. See if he even test drove it.

The reason I mention the pump area is that is where he was having trouble. He said the rest went well until he got to this point. This install goes much easier if you have the little "book" from Transgo? that Suncoast sells.
That book was written by Steve Younger at Transcel, a good friend of mine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it a physical book, or can I download electrons? Can it be scanned and email to me to take with me on Monday, or is it a pay per view type thing?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.