Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was considering a d-max 2500hd but we have a few dogs and need the ability to carry them.

It appears the 6.0 and 8.1 get similiar mileage. I do tow a car on an open trailer MAYBE 10x per year.

Curious what trans comes with the Sub or YukonXL with the 8.1?

Looking at 2000-2003 model years.

Thanks-
John

·
Registered
588 Posts
4l85e

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, do you know if there were gear ratio options with the 8100?

If not is is 3,73?

John

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Guess it depends what year your talking about.

No 8.1L in personal trucks after '07 classics or '06 SUVs. The 6L80 was never available with 8.1L...it was the 4L80E (85E?) in 2500 Subs and Aves.

Allison in the HD trucks with 8.1L.

Yes...3.73 and 4.10 gears with 8.1L.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I am familiar with the 4l80. I certainly dont need an 496 ci engine with 4.10's, gonna tow 7klbs MAX less than 10 times per year.

I know the 4l80 is a good trans, any longevity issues behind the 8100?

Just want to be educated as I continue to look.

Thanks-
John

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I'd go for the 8.1! Mileage not that different. 4L80E is a great trans....I'm sure it'd hold up well...but really depends how you use it. Heck, I read about guys here killing Allisons prematurely!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd go with the 8.1 over the 6.0 wish I had. The mileage is pretty much the same. I average 12MPG with my 6.0 and I know other guys that get the same with the 8.1. Why not have the power? The 6.0 will handle the load just fine but again more power is always better

·
Registered
273 Posts
Absolutely go for the 8.1 if you can find one. More cubes is more better!

I have found big blocks really don't have the mileage hit vs. small blocks that people say. When it comes to Suburbans, the mileage is going to depend a lot more on the fact that it's a Suburban, not what engine you put in it. Definitely go for the lowest numerical gear ratio you can, though. My '95 appears to have 3.42s, and I am very glad of it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Check the other threads everybody here is great with helping out on any problems or questions, my opinion a custom tune seems to be the way to go and exhaust and intake will help also

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've owned 2 8.1/4:10 burbs and tow 9K trailer 12+ times a year. First one went to 70K, then traded it on a newer one that currently has 60K with no trans troubles FYI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts