Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Suburban with a 4L80E with 160,000 miles. I bought a TransGo shift kit model SK-4L80E-B and a TransGo 48-PLT-01 Seperator Plate. Just a couple of questions before I install it.

Any problems not doing the Boost Valve Upgrade, as I think this requires the transmission out to install? Should I still install the seals & bolt for the "Dual Wide Land Boost Valve"?

The "Boost Pressure Relief Valve Assembly" shows using the template to drill the valve body. It says to install the valve body on the transmission. Any reason I cannot do this with the valve body on the bench?

Any problems with the new seperator plate? The instructions show two possible Pressure Control Solenoids a silver or black. The black is recommended. If I have the silver, should I worry about changing it?

Anything else I should do while I have the pan off? The only problem I have is at full throttle the 1-2 shift slips slightly. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
This kit was meant for the rebuider so you must have got it through a trans shop. These are not meant for the consumer. The reason for bolting the vb to the case is so the vb does not move while you are drilling relief holes at an awkward angle. If you rip the vb gaskets you are in trouble because the kit does not have them included. All of your electronic solenoids are suspect at your mileage. I do not recomend this upgrade with high mileage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you are saying I should not bother with the kit until rebuild time? BTW, I have the VB gaskets. Can you tell me how hard it is to rebuild this unit? I have a friend that is a very good mechanic and has rebuilt dozens of manual gearboxes but he has never done an automatic. Or would I be better off taking it to a shop?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I guess you are saying I should not bother with the kit until rebuild time? BTW, I have the VB gaskets. Can you tell me how hard it is to rebuild this unit? I have a friend that is a very good mechanic and has rebuilt dozens of manual gearboxes but he has never done an automatic. Or would I be better off taking it to a shop?
Install whatever you can with a pan drop as far as the s/k goes. Don;t pull the trans. It will help some. Rebuilding this unit is not hard but there are proven procedures that make or brake this trans longevity wise. Reboring valve body is one of them. There are a lot of neat things available to us guys in the business that are not for sale to the public. I willhelp you with this when the time comes.
mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Thanks. I'll do what I can now and when (hopefully a while yet) the time comes to rebuild, I'll be in touch!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tranny rebuild

So, what would the rebuild kit cost for the 4L80E? Where can I get the instructions to rebuild the tranny? Also, what are things that can be done to the tranny now to ensure it lasts longer. My current truck seems to run fine and when I did a filter change the fluid looked really good. I changed the filter and put a Derale pan to increase the amount of oil and it already has a secondary oil cooler. Anything else?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts