Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that I have this picture resize thing figured out... Here are some more pics for you all to ponder. This is the Trans go kit for the allison. This kit is from Steve Cole/TTS performance. Please note this is simply an overview of the install, please dont regard this as complete directions. Eric

Here is the Kit as you will see it when you open the box, what you cant see in the pic is the C2 clutches that are under the top layer in the box. The kit also includes the springs to repair the drainback issue after sitting for a week or longer.

This handy Kent Moore jig sure helps hold this heavy unit. It weighs around 400 lbs so be carefull.

Once your staring into the top of the unit, remove all the bolts except the ones shown, this will allow you to remove the front module assembly.

Here is the view with the front module removed. You see the rotating assembly with the pto gear on it. This contains the C1 and C2 clutch assemblies

This is the rotating assembly as viewed from the bottom.. The large gear in the center is the P1 sun gear

Gut that assembly out to get te C2 piston out which will be modified with this kit

Here you see the C2 return spring assembly with the Trans GO return springs installed. All of these springs were replaced with the springs supplied in the kit.

The C2 piston has some orificed holes, you will use the kit supplied drill bit to enlarge the hole just deep enough to install the cup plug with a very tiny orifice in it. The plug is laying upside down from how it is installed in the piston. You will do this on both holes in the piston. There is also a step in which you will drill through the piston side. The picture of this did not turn out well enough to post. Be sure to follow the steps in the kit.

Here are the C2's I took out of my tranmission. I have limped it twice both times in 5th gear.

After completeing the C2 mods, reassemble the rotating drum and move on to the valve body. Here the valve body is removed and seperated. Notice my work bench of choice in the picture. I use an old radiator to work off, this allows the fluid to drain through and still keeps a of the small parts in order, a clean work area with no oil standing helps alot.

Included with the kit is the shown drill bit, use it to enlarge the two holes circled.

Here are the holes after drilling, you cant see it in the pic, but I use a file to flat file the plate after drilling, this removes any burs that may have been left by the drillling process

These are the OEM trim valves, on top is the "B" trim valve assembly and the bottom is the "A" trim valve assembly. You can tell the difference in the two valves as the A valve has a small raised portion on it

These are the Trans go trim valves. Again, "B" is on top. notice that the springs on the right are different and you cant see in pic, but the ends of the valve are hollowed out to accept the small check ball and an even smaller spring that is not very visable in pic.

Here is the case with the valve body removed.

When reinstalling the valve body to the case, perhaps the trickiest part is keeping the manual valve pin in place, I use Trans Jel to hold it to the manual valve.

Its not all painted pretty, but its very stout now.. Lets bring on the power!

Here is a side by side of the deep pan (left) and the oem pan (right) You can see the difference.

Driving impressions: I have had this kit in now for a little over 2 weeks and am very happy with it. After installation I cleared the shift adapts to give it a fair start. Initial road test was very smooth, no harsh or abrasive shifts noticed under normal driving. You hardly could tell it was there with normal driving. When I bumped the power up, Its presence was felt, the shifts were clean and firm, not harsh and irratating. The downshifts are all very smooth and not jarring. The tranny temps run right were they were stock. I chose to not install a performance convertor at this time to give the kit a true test of its effect. I think that if you were to pay to have the kit installed, spend the money on the conv up front so you dont get doubled up on labor to r&r the trans twice. I have put the trans through as much abuse as I have to offer as far as my truck goes. I have the Juice/Attitude combo and the Pred. I stacked them both and did some hard launches, some heavy tows in level 4 ( EGT prevented towing in level 5) and no hint of a slip at all. I have not been to the drag strip before or after install so I dont know of any gains there. What I do know is this kit is for the normal driver, meaning the guy who plows snow and pulls his camper/boat and likes to blow away an import here and there. I hope to get some power from Mike Tomac to put this thing through some more torture to see how she holds up. But for the money ( around 2500.00 installed w/ conv) you cant go wrong. It ranks among other Trans Go kits with its quality and ease of install. If your looking to upgrade your trans on a budget, give this kit a serious look....

Eric

<!-- Signature -->

·
Registered
611 Posts
Eric,

Thanks alot

Getting mine done next week by Mike L.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anyone in alberta or montana, doing the transgo installs

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you have the big pictures available anywhere? I am considering doing this kit myself. I have read all the instructions, but am a little unclear on where to drill through the C2 piston.

Did you use any special tools? If there is no need for special tools, and everything can easily be completed in a weekend, then I will probably tackle this project sometime this winter.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amric, pull the tranny out and bring it over on a Sat, we can do it and I will assist you.. I have pics bigger but the ones that show drillling the C2 piston are crap

Eric

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Eric

Glad you like it!
I think people will now see why we(TTS) include new C2 clutches and steels with our kits. You've only limped it twice and you can clearly see the burning on the clutches and steels. I would say over 95% of the transmissions we've seen apart have had burned C2's in them. It would be cheaper not to include the clutchs and steels but then you will just have to turn around and buy them after the trans. gets torn down. Now all you need is the converter to have it all. The article and pictures look great.

Steve

·
Registered
647 Posts
Here are my C1, C2, C3 clutches. Eric on the price side I paid more than 2500.00. Pro-Loc TC was 1148.00 Transgo was 388.00, C1 was 55.00, C2 was 100.00, C3 was 100.00 and labor was 1333.00. Steven and Steward in Dallas did my install. They said I was the first one at that location to get it done.Edited by: BassinRVer

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Eric

great pictures
. You would love my stand (trans holding tool). I roll it over to the jack, bolt it to trans, jack it up off the trans jack ( has built in jack) and roll it to where i want it. When i'm done, i roll it back to trans jack and set it back on. no lifting!

mike

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I just got done doing Diesel 5s Transgo shift kit and Suncoast triple lock converter. I have not road tested it yet because it got late. I will clear codes and do relearn in the am. Diesel 5 has not punished his truck like all you other animals
. I found his C2 clutches in pretty good shape. I am replacing them because the steel plates are getting shiney(the paper BW clutches showed only the slightest discolor on 2 plates). It also made me think that the BW clutches are more than a match for the steel plates involved. I am also rethinking my choice in trans fluid. I am leaning towards synthetic fluid big time. I did not come up with this idea over night, we have been checking trans fluid temps on a lot of trucks,(Ford, Dodge and GM). We have been able to drop temps 20 to 30 deg. by going to synthetic.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mike L. said:
Diesel 5 has not punished his truck like all you other animals
. I found his C2 clutches in pretty good shape.

Is this a compliment?

Hmm ... Mike when I get there tommorow I want to see some burnt C2 clutches, I drive my truck just as hard as you guys !

Just kidding, thanks for the update

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb005Edited by: DIESEL 5

·
Registered
611 Posts
I GOT MY TRUCK BACK FROM MIKE L.

I was very impressed with the way TransGo shifts, quick but not rough. It was also great to crank the juice to level 5 in 5th gear and not worring about limping the tranny Thanks to Suncoast . If any of you guys need a good transmission shop in Southern California I highly recommend "INGLEWOOD TRANSMISSION" fast service, great price, and Mike's years of experience.

Mike, I am looking forward to all of your future "Duramax projects"

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
we are going to be going down to las vegas in early dec. does any one know of any good suncoast dealers in the great falls, helana, salt lake, or las vegas, that do the suncast install, thanks

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
DMAXALLITECH, GREAT ARTICLE. DO YOU OR ANY OF THE OTHERS KNOW HOW MUCH TORQUE AND HP THIS KIT WITH THE SUNCOAST CONVERTER WOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS

THANKS

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My personal thoughts is that it will hold far more then most of us will ever put at it. Trucks making over the 550 rwhp range should consider going with a triple lock conv but notmany of us in that range.

Eric

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey what is up with what Eric was saying about drainback issues after the truck is sitting for a week or longer with the stock alli? what happens upon bleed down etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="98%" align=center bgColor=#999999>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>
<T>
<TR>
<TD bgColor=#ffffff>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=ting noWrap background=forum_images/table_bg_image.gif bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD class=tiing noWrap align=right background="" bgColor=#e8e8e8 colSpan=2>></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD class=bold width="20%" background="" bgColor=#f8f7ef><A name=15022></A>dmaxalliTech</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>were did you get that jig to put on the stand to hold that tranny help if you can tell me thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Eric,
Could you please answer 2500hding's question about the drainback issue. I'm also interested since my dad will sometimes let his sit for a week, especially in the winter. Otherwise it's a tow vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts