Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so far I've read people state that their trans fluid color hasn't changed much even after being in the truck for 10K+ miles. I had the dealer change out the fluid 7500 miles ago. They tossed the magnet but that is a different story. I'm having them put a new one in and check everything over later today. But my question is even after 7500 miles my fluid is not bright shiney red. It's not even close. Even before the dealer tossed the magnet when I changed the filter at 7500 intervals the fluid was not quite black but no where near red. Is there a problem with my trans or is it normal? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i changed mine about 5k ago and its dark colored, but i do tow alot, so i think its normal clutch dust.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer says no.

Dealer wants to drop the pan and check inside. They say the trans is overheating and burning the fluid. The trans gauge has never reached anywhere in the high temp range. They say they'll look at it under warantee so it's no loss except for the hassle. I'm bring it in on monday for them to drop the pan.

·
Registered
91 Posts
U just got a free service if nothing else. Tell them u expect a new internal filter and check the cleanliness of the pressure manifold switch while they're in there!

My fluid turned "purple" when I overheated it. Gauge wasn't in the red zone, but I knew it happened when it did. (running in sand too long)

·
Registered
213 Posts
iam thinking that the factory fluid is purple, more so than red, i do not think heat would turn the red to purple, mine was the purple black, but no burnt smell. jmo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts