Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my first service at 2000 miles, I had the dealer change the trans spin on filter also. When i got home i noticed it had a drip of AFT on the bottom of the filter. I wiped it clean and made sure is we tight, but we are leaving to go camping -- is it possible to over tighten the filter? Has anyone ever had it leak on them?

Thanks for the help
gcat

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I'd keep an eye on it, but it most likely was a poor filling job and he got ATF between the gasket and the outer lip of the filter. The filter has a pretty stout little gasket on it and I normally turn mine about 1/-1/2 turns after contact.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
yes I think you can overtighten a filter if you try. If you checked it and it seems tight by hand don't worry. I usually tighten by hand then give it a quarter turn with a wrench. But I would not not worry about a drip. You're suppose to moisten the rubber gasket with atf befor install and If they prefilled the filter it is probably residule fluid that was around the edge. Keep a eye on it, if you are really leaking, which I doubt, it would be all over the bottom of you truck.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
You'll find out when you try and take it off! :)

It was probably just left over Erl from them compressing the gasket against the housing.How much more did you turn it,half turn?

I wouldn't back it off now nonetheless

I'm sure you will be fine.Have a nice vacation

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much more did you turn it,half turn?
I just made sure it was tight, it didn't turn at all.

Thanks guy's - I'll keep my eye on it this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts