Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I GOT A 03 D/A AND THE DEALER TOLD ME I WASNT SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THE TRANS FILTER OR FLUID TILL 25K...20K NOW AND I SEE WHERE SOME PEOPLE ARE CHANGIN THEM EVERY 5K MILES...ANYBODY KNOW?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Or to put it less politely RTFM!!!!!!! Just Kidding

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
turbodiesel03 said:
I GOT A 03 D/A AND THE DEALER TOLD ME I WASNT SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THE TRANS FILTER OR FLUID TILL 25K...20K NOW AND I SEE WHERE SOME PEOPLE ARE CHANGIN THEM EVERY 5K MILES...ANYBODY KNOW?
As Eric said change at 5k ... Keep the magnet to reuse and change at 25k intervals or better .....

Mac

·
Registered
432 Posts
Internal screen can go 25K or longer, but the spin on needs to be changed the first 5K then after that is your preference. I change my tranny filter everytime I change the oil filter around every 5K. Probably overkill, but cheap insurance at $8 for the spin on tranny filter. Be sure you don't lose the magnet on top of the filter, clean and attach to the new filter.

Change that spin on now!

Regards,

·
Registered
170 Posts
Where do you get the spin on tranny filter for $8?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Allison Distributor and probably Dmaxallitech for close to that price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Probably a dumb ?, but any way, can you fill the filter with ATF before you spin it back on? How much ATF should you add after this if you don't fill the filter?

·
Registered
473 Posts
bartman said:
Probably a dumb ?, but any way, can you fill the filter with ATF before you spin it back on? How much ATF should you add after this if you don't fill the filter?

Yes you can fill the filter, but it only takes about 1/2 quart of tranny fluid. IMO it is easier to pour it in through the dipstick. Make sure you don't throw the magnet away with old filter,Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
514 Posts
Not dumb at all. Yep you can pre-fill. I measured what drained out using a measuring cup. The filter itself holds somewhere around 6oz and you may have about 3-4 more ounces drain out while you're getting the new one set up. If you tighten the thing too much they will leak so be sure to follow what's on the filter for tightening recommendations. Don't miss the magnet and don't drop it as it will break.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Look up any local Allison dealer in the Yrllow pages or try the website for a dealer near you and you can buy the Tranny spin on for the 1000 Tranny at just about $8.00 each plus tax. Your local neighborhood dealer parts dept. will ask $25 for the same filter.

There is a dealer in Michigan that seems to be bucking the trend, it's just a matter of time before all the other dealers jump on this Michigan dealer on a dark night in an alley somewhere and make him an offer he can't refuse LOL.

Meantime you can get some really great deals from Dmaxallitech.

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts