Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dealer is charging me a cool c note to replace the trans filter on my trans. Dows this sound right? i though *** was just an unscrew and screw on a new one? Does anyone know what the cost of this part is?

·
Registered
273 Posts
fishcop;1592272; said:
my dealer is charging me a cool c note to replace the trans filter on my trans. Dows this sound right? i though *** was just an unscrew and screw on a new one? Does anyone know what the cost of this part is?
There is an internal one that they also change ....so they drop the pan Plus they change the screw on one on the outside .... so I don't know about the price .... 2 fliters + new fluid .... make sure for this price they flush it out the old fluid out of the torque converter other wise it is left full of old trans fluid .... most will only change the oil and filters for that price ....now if your fluid is still in good condition it might not be so bad .... however if you are overdue then it is a different story.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
313 Posts
The internal filter should not need to be replaced until 100,000 miles. The screw on is what they should have done.

If they charged you 100.00 to replace the screw on........ You just got hosed! Filter is about $9.00 at Allison

·
Registered
702 Posts
Per Allison, the internal filter does not ever need to be replaced under normal conditions. I haven't seen it, but told it's essentially just a screen and only replaced if the pan is off, typically for a rebuild.
The external filter is only $9-10 from Allison directly or some vendors, so it that's what they're replacing, then $100 is outrageous. Takes all of 2 minutes to replace and that's only if you have to crawl back out fromunder the truck to go get the new filter.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
fishcop;1592272; said:
This sounds like $100 for the spin-on. IIRC, list price on that son'bicch is ~$40, charge you ~$7 for the half quart of Dex-III, plus minium 1/2 hour labor charge @$70-90/hr... it adds up.

Now, $100 for the spin-on AND sump filter would be a great deal, considering the sump filters are ~$40 at the cheapest, $10 for the spin-on, plus all that fluid.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
fishcop;1592272; said:
THAT'S INSANE!!!

Never again trust the service dept. at that dealership and bring up the rediculous amount to the owner/manager's attention.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah, that is insane...and they probably didn't put the magnet back on top the new one....at least my dealership didn't know about it either. I had my dealership do the 25,000 mile service on my tranny. At least they hooked me up and gave me a new magnet even though they had to order it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I pay $69.00 for the external filter and sucked out dry with a machine they use.I thought my price was high.The stealerships are outragious with thems prices any how.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer charges $229 to replace the internal filter, external filter, and add the 8 quarts of fluid. They recommend it be done every 30k miles.

I had it done as part of a 30k service package they charge $650 for. They don't specify which ATF they put in, but they only charged $2.80 a quart. The filters were about $40 each.

·
Registered
593 Posts
billaustin;1593347; said:
My dealer charges $229 to replace the internal filter, external filter, and add the 8 quarts of fluid. They recommend it be done every 30k miles.

I had it done as part of a 30k service package they charge $650 for. They don't specify which ATF they put in, but they only charged $2.80 a quart. The filters were about $40 each.
amazing what some dealers "recommend"..:eek: ..if it's not in the owners manual in the service schedule then unless you absolulely drive the PI$$ out of your vehicle, more than likely it's not needed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
txdutt;1593495; said:
amazing what some dealers "recommend"..:eek: ..if it's not in the owners manual in the service schedule then unless you absolulely drive the PI$$ out of your vehicle, more than likely it's not needed.
I know their recommendations are way beyond what Allison or the manual recommends. I don't drive as much as some here, but I've been averaging 2200 miles a month since I got the truck (Nov '05).

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
fishcop;1592272; said:
The cost of a oem Ally filter is $8.00 $11.00 from a Allison dealer or from a vendor here, www.gmdieseltech.com. Quart of fluid. Be sure to clean and re-use the magnet on top of the filter. 5 minutes or less. Change it when the truck is cold...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Magnet on the Trany filter? Mine was just changed for 75.00 at the dealer.. what a steal.:eek: I want to be sure the magnet is back on, where is it located at the end or around edges?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yaz;1596147; said:
Magnet on the Trany filter? Mine was just changed for 75.00 at the dealer.. what a steal.:eek: I want to be sure the magnet is back on, where is it located at the end or around edges?
Sits on top of the filter. You could get a extra magnet and have it when you check it. They should cost less than $5.00, available at www.gmdieseltech.com. Good idea to check or change the filter when the truck is cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts