Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a tranny before spring so she will be ready for pulling season and some drag racing. Its pretty much between ATS and Suncoast. Both seem to be pretty good and relatively the same cost. I like the controller part of the ATS though. What I want to know is, who has what, how is it holding up, how many miles, and how much power are you putting to it? I know there are a few people that have had problems with both of these trannys, ie. clutch packs in particular. So feel free to give your opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Thats not important, what is is where your gonna have it installed! How much HP you plan on putting on? I wouldnt count out the Trans go kit. Half the cost....

Eric

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

I plan on putting more power to it than I have now, now I am running the 120 Predator and a 110/225 Quad module. I think the Quad alone would be pushing the trans go kit. I would dont want to spend that kind of money and start slipping the tranny again. If tomac and others are burning up aftermarket c1's Im sure my stock ones already look bad. I dont think it would hold, what do you think.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The latest offerings from both are just hitting the streets. I'm waiting to see who tears up what next before doing the R&R again...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JK, let us know what you find out about the revisions and how they are holding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let me know if you need help with install, we can do it.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Anyone into pulling look at the this one instead for the lower gears 1-3

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=middle colSpan=2>Product Specifications
Allison 2000/2400 Series (MX4/MTW)
Model Year 2003
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=240>

Type:
Five speed rear wheel drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter clutch

Engine Range:
6.6L - 8.1L

Maximum Engine Torque:
520 lb-ft

Maximum Gearbox Torque:
850 lb-ft

Gear Ratios:

<TABLE>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes>First:</TD>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes vAlign=top>3.51 </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes>Second:</TD>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes vAlign=top>1.90 </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes>Third:</TD>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes vAlign=top>1.44 </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes>Fourth:</TD>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes vAlign=top>1.00 </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes>Fifth:</TD>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes vAlign=top>0.74 </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes>Reverse:</TD>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=pb_attributes vAlign=top>5.09</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Are these the same case as the 1000?</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Mackin

you got it right. they will not interface and so far there is no one that can do it. I am told that internals are pretty much the same (nothing special) from Transgo. torque converter is different as far as stall.(lower)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hey, What about the other stuff? Like, the 1,000 will spin unloaded @ 5,100 RPM's and loaded (power applied) up to 4,600 rpm's. I think the 2,000 and 2,400 series are regulated to 4,500 RPM unloaded and 4,000 RPM's loaded. These numbers are not "hard facts" but just what I rember from Allison. They use the same case. I don't think you cna take the ecm out of a 1,000 and put in in a 2,400 because of the gear ratio's. HUmmmm......... 500 hp Dmax couppled to a 2400 series running a 4:10 rear with 315's...... could be possible.

Burner-------->

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Mackin, this is from GM,

. The Allison 2400 series is a variation of the 2000 with a park pawl actuated by the gearshift lever, which is specified for certain heavy-load commercial uses

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Dmax Tim said:
Mackin, this is from GM,

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">. The Allison 2400 series is a variation of the 2000 with a park pawl actuated by the gearshift lever, which is specified for certain heavy-load commercial uses</span>
Thanks I wasn't sure since they (2000 2400 series ) are put into much heavier application where air brakes are more prominent .... The parking paw is quite stout,Rated at 28K (?) CGVW ..... I was amazed of the size .....

Mac

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lower gears might be beneficial, your not really gonna know how they would work out till you try them. It would probably cost a little money, cause you would have to get a 2000 series tranny. I will be happy with just having one that will hold a good amount of power. Tomac, sdaver, and other with trannies, what do you think? Jk, do you think the new revisions will solve the c1 problems and any others they were having? THanks

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
The pulling guys would see the most benefit of the lower gears, I just wondered if anyone was looking this way or maybe some are and are keeping it quiet.

When we were pulling we ran the low gearset in the TH400 but we also only ran 1st and 2nd in lowrange.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
White Duramax said:
Does anyone have the newest tranny from either the Coast or ATS??
As far as I know Tomac has the ATS in his truck ....
My Sun Coast level V is in transit .... Should be installed this week ...

Mac

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you are getting you another new one already Mac? swappin out for the latest and greatest or are you just gettin the parts??

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
White Duramax said:
So you are getting you another new one already Mac? swappin out for the latest and greatest or are you just gettin the parts??

I had to send my tranny down for a check up ...;)

Fit as a feedle,after a minor glitch was corrected in the Converter flow valve sticking .... The assumption was that that was the problem'o ,but I wanted the experts to confirm ...

AND

At the same time the Stage V was nearing completion of testing so I killed two birds with one stone so to speak ...So parts but SunCoast is installing them as my tranny was there paying a visit .... ;)

Hopefully by Thursday I'll be back rolling .... Has been a long trip ...

Mac

1 - 20 of 20 Posts