Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had some questions.. Looking for answers... :)

1.) What is the difference between the TransGo Shift Kit and the Bully Dog Shift Improvement kit?

2.) What clutchs should be replaced. I want to be able to use 5th gear for the track.

3.) I've heard the stock Converter is good to around 450rwhp. Is this true, the HP would only be really seen that high at the track.

4.) Even with all the tranny upgrades, other then converter what is the weak link so that I can use 5th gear.

I want to break into the 13s with my 2wd truck. With the 95hp Edge and the 55hp Pup I beat my buddies 13.8 truck from a low roll. Im looking at the max running my Edge at 125 and my Pup at 95.. Maybe getting a Hot Edge sometime and stacking it still. Will I be good to go??

What do you all think??

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
<UL>
<LI>1: Bully dog is a patch, transgo is a fix...lots of recent threads on this...</LI>
<LI>2: That will depend on whats damaged, best bet is to replace all of them that have to come out for chosen upgrade. Higher end upgrades come with clutches</LI>
<LI>3: No way the stock conv will hold 450rwhp. More like 370 tops.</LI>
<LI>4: Proper upgrade will not care what gear your in. Trans go at a minimum. </LI>[/list]

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
dmaxalliTech;

How is the tranny up grade holding up? You said that you would keep us informed, But you haven`t

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
ask him about question #3

min level 3 suncoast.....

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
hdmax said:
dmaxalliTech;

How is the tranny up grade holding up? You said that you would keep us informed, But you haven`t
If it dont break, there is nothing to report.....

Conv is a must though. dyno runs prove it. It wont hold.....

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
GMC2500HD said:
How much torque will it hold? That is my question....[/QUOTE

There is no set number as far how much extra TQ the Ally converter will hold. Manufacturers safety margin is +10%. I have some customers that have burned their converter clutch without any program, just load weight. The design of the converter will not allow total clutch contact due in part to the comfort factor ( don't want the customer to feel anything ) and engineering. Every manufacturer has a converter problem, not just GM.

mike

·
Registered
403 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
GMC2500HD said:
How much torque will it hold? That is my question....
good estimate is up to 650lb ft. Thats a safe area I think

I know this has been discussed before ("what is a safe level with the juice?") but now I'm confused....

If I'm running the juice/attitude level 3 (70/220) or level 4 (90/250), should I worry about the converter? Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
good estimate is up to 650lb ft. Thats a safe area I think

Eric; I hope you are talking about the stock converter!

I would expect that your tranny upgrade would hold 850+ with new after market converter and all new clutches.

And all of this installed for $2600-$2800?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Everyone is guesstamating what the Stock Converter will hold ... My stock converter was fine untill I started stacking with the HOT juice ...

Mac

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Mackin said:
Everyone is guesstamating what the Stock Converter will hold ... My stock converter was fine untill I started stacking with the HOT juice ...

Mac

Mine makes nice noises now.......especially in 5th gear on the dyno

At the minimum go with a new converter and a Transgo.....

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
A stock converter in good shape will hold about 600 - 625 FLYWHEEL torque. We've run alot of tests and begin to find slippage in that range. If you have about 60,000 miles on the rig they give up the ghost about 525 - 550 FLYWHEEL Torque. So it's all in how you use your truck.

If your Mackin, Sdaver or Diesel Power the stock converter will be junk it a matter of minutes!

DmaxalliTech has been running a stock converter for about 6 months and it holds fine until he puts it on the dyno.
So you have got to figure where in the mix you fall and make a decision.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the Transgo kit what other clutchs should I get at the same time??

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you are going to upgrade the clutches, I would get the C1, C2, and C3 clutches. If you are going to do stock replacements, you may be able to skip replacing the C1s, unless you have been really hard on them. For stock replacements, it would be ideal, if you could have all three clutch packs available, and return any set that did not need replacement.

You will not access the back half of the allison during a TransGo kit install, so there is no need to purchase the C4 or C5 clutches.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Powell said:
With the Transgo kit what other clutchs should I get at the same time??

Seeing that you have an 04, I would say you can get by without new clutches. But only you know how you have treated the truck.

If it is low mileage, and you have not added much after market power to it, or you have not limped the tranny, or been really hard on it. You should be fine with the original clutches. However; you do need to upgrade the converter when you beef up the tranny. That is just my opinion!

I know that when I decide to beef mine up, it will need everything except the housing. (And even that isn`t out of the question) 60,000 miles and added power just about every mile that is on it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My trans. has taken a beating. Its got 15k miles on it. At 8k I put a 95hp Power Pup. At 11k I put a Edge on it, and ran it on 55/55 daily and then I ran it 55/75 (Pup/Edge) and 55/95 (pup/edge) when I really needed it. Then I got the Attitude at 12k and I run at level 2 for daily driving and level 5 if I need to race and the Pup is used for the Speed Limiter. I've ran 95 / 125 on the street with No Tow/Haul and 5th gear Locked out, and did not limp the transmission or have it slipped. but that was only for a few stomps.

So if you all think its enough then I might have to do it all. What kind of time does it take someone who knows most of what they are doing to put a Transgo kit and like C1,C2,C3 clutchs in???

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just talked to Suncoast. Looks like I maybe possibly doing Stage III When I get the $$$ together.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.