Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What temps is everyone else getting on their temp gauges during warm weather 80 degrees and up highway driving and around town?

It just started to get warm here and i was wondering if 200 degrees on the trans temp gauge is normal or not? I've checked my fluid level and i just changed my allison filter.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
One two ticks under 200 .... Still evaluating the Mag Hytec ... I don't believe it assist in keeping tranny cooler but I believe it will assist in cooling down quicker once air flow begins around the pan once moving ....

Today was the first day in the 80's here and my tranny would get up to 190 ish ,sump temp was a bit lower by 15/20 degrees .... Time will tell ...

Mac

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys just wanted to make sure temps were normal since i havent seen the temps up this high yet since i bought the truck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The temps will stay lower when driving on the highway (torque converter locked). But if it is warm outside and you get in slow stop/go city driving or stop/go up and down small hills, the temps will build pretty quickly (torque converter never locks).

The newer LLY's supposedly have some extra solenoid/circuitry to try and address the stop-n-go heat build up. Get Mike L's attention and he can explain it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't say my transmission temp has ever been as warm as you guys'. Even pulling my 28 foot 5th wheel camper across Oklahoma with the mirror temp guage reading 106 I never reached 180. Sunday was 83 degrees here, I drove 200 mile round trip and never saw 140. I have been using Mobil 1 fluid since 3000 miles. Switching over I saw about 10 to 15 degrees cooler temps. On a 30 degree day my guage will just barely come off the peg. In stop and go I rarely see 150 degrees and it really has to be hot outside (95+).

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
I don't know exactly what temp we need for lock-up ( i will know shortly) but it must be 150F and higher. I suggest in stop and go traffic(you must go fast enough to shift into second), hit the TH button. That will activate lock-up and let the Ally run cooler. If you can not go fast enough to automaticaly shift into second, putting the Ally in TH will not help cooling because the converter clutch will not come on. The problem lies with the fixed 250 psi+ constant pressure. A larger cooler will help, deep pan will not (still a great thing to help out), synthetic fluid will not help( another great thing that i feel is a must). A more efficient torque converter will help bring the temps down (if your converter clutch slides on apply it will creat heat). PWM (pulse width modulation) is slipping the clutch on and off. In certain stop and go traffic situations , the torque converter can generate tremendous heat by sliding on and off ( remember that i posted less than 30% of the converter clutch actually bites). TH mode helps a lot in that situation.

mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts