Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big a deal is it to install a transmission temperature gauge? I have finally decided (& gotten permission) to get a set of decent gauges, and I figure I can handle the Pyrometer install but I haven't seen much info on putting a tranny temp gauge in.

Is it a t-fitting in line with the cooler, or will I need to drill and tap? How big a PITA is it to run the lines up to the A-pillar mounts? Oh yeah, which wire off the reostat do I tap to use the dimmer for the backlights?

I'm not totally helpless, but know it's cheaper to pay someone else do it than it is to f*** something up- just want to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks all, for letting me learn from your mistakes...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm in the same boat! Gauges are going in soon...I hope I don't screw something up either!
I'm going with a pyro, boost and tranny temp on an a-pillar pod. I can use all the "411" I can get.

Kevin

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what third gauge to use. Egt will be in Monday and then I'll order the boost after that. I ordered the Ultralite series from Autometer. I even thought about their air pressure gauge for an air compressor setup on the truck. They even have another pod that fits on the steering column for a fourth gauge!

·
Registered
463 Posts
BukWild,

I saw somewhere, a 4 gauge pillar pod...I liked it, but the gauges I want to use are the Lunar Series, and there are a limited number of applications in that series. Oh well...

Kevin

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Roo-bee

4L80 or Allison ??

The Allison lines are 5/8 I believe.... Tough to find inline fittings to adapt gauge sending unit ..... My aux. gauge gets it's reading from temp sensor mid ship in my deep pan .....

Mac

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mackin, Does the Autometer gauge vary much from the original transmission gauge?

Fireman, where did you see one of those? The only 4 pod pllar mounts I've seen are for the Ford Super Duty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4L80... I'd prefer to use some sort of T fitting in the cooler lines, but one suggestion I got from Mhagie is to add a Summit Racing B&M tranny drain kit. The plug is a 1/8 NPT- just pop your sender in there. Think I will probably end up going that route

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mackin said:
Roo-bee

4L80 or Allison ??

The Allison lines are 5/8 I believe.... Tough to find inline fittings to adapt gauge sending unit ..... My aux. gauge gets it's reading from temp sensor mid ship in my deep pan .....

Mac

Mac,

Do you think I'd be better off going with something other than a (second) transmission temp gauge due to PITA installation issues? I only want a third gauge to get the "look" of a full pillar. Maybe a second engine temp?

What thinks you?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The stock gauge always seems to read a bit higher as it lays at the base of the V-body .... Therefore it is in a hotter spot as it picks up residue mass heat .... It can very as much as 20 degrees at times .... My sump temp gives a fairly decent account of actual fluid temp .... I can actually see this temp drop quicker when rolling along after building heat .... It will take a lot longer to cool the entire actual tranny mass ....

My stock cluster gauge is pretty accurate as checked with a tech II .... Some aren't so lucky ...

I went with the tranny gauge it's only one wire and fairly simple to do really ..... Good time to swap to a deep pan,Prefit with the sensor and you'll be good to go .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts