Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 diesel burb with a bad 700r4.-:t I found a 700r that was in a gas burb. would it work for my application or not. If so, are there any modifications I would need to do? I don't want to buy it if it won't work. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
897 Posts
That old I would say its probably the same tranny. There was a few differences like an extra clutch plate in some of the heavier trannies back then. But my guess is if they both came out of a burb they are probably the same. I think if it was me I would still throw a rebuild kit at it before putting it back in. Those rebuild kits are preaty cheap (around $150.00) for those transmissions. I am sure some of the experts will chime in. The biggest thing is making sure its the same size bell housing. Which if it truly came out of a burban then its a large one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
torque

one guy told me that i needed a different torque converter. the stall was different. is that true or will it work the way it is?

·
Registered
897 Posts
That may true, if its different the gas torque converter probably won't even bolt up to the diesel flex plate.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts