Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone seen a good write-up on a Np465 swap into a 700r4 eqiped diesel? I considered swapping in a NV3500, but can't find one used. Or I can get a used 700r4 from a friend for $200. It was rebuilt at AAMCO about 60k miles ago. Opinions?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I think you mean the SM465, right? If so, installing it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I don't think they ever put it in a Blazer (although I could be wrong on that), but it should bolt right up...

Personally, I would only buy a used 700R4 if I could drive the truck it was in before purchase to check it out. If it is out of the truck already buying it is basically gambling... It might be good, it might not last ten miles. Been there, done that.

Bummer about your current 700... They all fail sooner or later I guess... :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I meant SM465 :duh: I think it was the fact that both the one in my suburban and then this one went out in the last 2 months :bawl::bawl:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Bummer! :eek:

That's the problem with the automatic transmissions... They don't seem to last that long and it costs a fortune to get one rebuilt. It is possible for a home mechanic to rebuild one, but even doing it yourself you can get quite a steep parts bill...

The SM465 should bolt up just fine if you can find one. They are probably pretty easy to find, though, because they put them in just about everything. The problem with it is that you will no longer have an overdrive...

·
Registered
454 Posts
they did put them in k5's but i've not seen many. just need to find a truck to get all the pedals and linkage out of, get a flywheel, and put it all in. your transfer case will have 29 spline, and the 465 will have 32 spline, so you'll need to get the transfercase with the trans if you can.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
hidesertwheelin;1599177; said:
Does anyone seen a good write-up on a Np465 swap into a 700r4 eqiped diesel? I considered swapping in a NV3500, but can't find one used. Or I can get a used 700r4 from a friend for $200. It was rebuilt at AAMCO about 60k miles ago. Opinions?
You have to be careful when swapping with the NP208 transfer-case. It comes with two different spline configurations. 27 spline for TH350 and 700R4 transmission, and 32 spline for TH400s and SM465s.

So, if your 208 was matched to a 700R4, it won't fit the SM465 unless you change the shaft.

Gas Blazers often came with SM465s, but diesel Blazers - if stick - usually came with the NP833 four-speed overdrive (I've got one).

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you find a donor with the SM465, make sure to grab the tranny hump out of the cab floor also. It's higher than the automatic humps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I found a few 700r4's. One came from a diesel and one from a gas truck. I think I'm going to stick with the 700r4 since it's my DD and I need to get it back on the road soon.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
That may be the way to go, but if you are going to buy a used one you might want to keep an SM465 or another manual tranny handy for when the 700 goes... ):h Been there, done that... :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you get a good 700 you should be all set... The trick is finding a good one...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
swap to the manual, you'll love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts